Monday (August 17th) was a bit of an adventure. Jonas and I had a few chores/errands to do in the morning, one of which, for Jonas, was mowing the lawn. He has been really responsible with this chore this summer. He doesn't fight me on it. He enjoys putting on his headphones and listening to music while he does it. And today was no different, except when he went to move Jeff's motorbike to maneuver the mower out of the shop, it fell on him and sliced his knee pretty bad. Ugh! I was actually pretty proud of how tough he was. I had to clean it out, which wasn't without additional discomfort. Once I got it cleaned, we tried to close it up with steri strips. The cut was easy to close but the strips wouldn't hold so we eventually went to Urgent Care where they glued it shut. It was either that or stitches...and we should have gotten the stitches because the next day, during PE, he fell on his knee and the glue busted open. At that point, we just decided it wasn't worth trying to glue again (and he still didn't want stitches) so we just kept it clean and let it scab over and heal.
Between all the knee stuff, we went to the open house at the middle school. I still can't believe he's in middle school. We drove by the elementary school, and I felt a little sad. However, I am also very excited (and a little apprehensive because I know kids can be more mean during this stage of life) for his next big adventure. We got to the school and were given his schedule. We then walked all of his classes in order so he knew where he was going. Jonas wasn't interested in meeting his teachers, even though they were there. We saw several of his friends. He's pretty stoked that he gets to eat lunch with all his buddies (minus Madden) even though he doesn't have classes with them. He is also excited that he has a pretty balanced schedule in regards to academic and fun classes. It's a good mix that allows him little brain breaks throughout the day. Even though he didn't get theater tech (stage crew) class and have Spanish instead, he's pretty satisfied with his schedule overall. Once we finished walking his classes, we headed home to get Jeff for our traditional last day of summer dinner out. This year, we went to the Bar W Steakhouse in Nephi. It was delicious! When we got home, Jeff gave Jonas a Father's Blessing to start the school year.
And just like that, school is in session! Jonas started 6th grade on Tuesday, August 18th. He admitted that he finally got a little excited about it earlier that morning. Until then, he was pretty sad that summer was ending (which is totally normal!). He decided that he wanted to take the bus to school, even though it's a 45 minute bus ride! (I'm not sure I love that about the new school. It takes me 20 minutes to drive there, but I think it's a good school based on what I've heard.) But Jonas wanted me to pick him up after school. Before I picked him up, I grabbed a little bundtlet from Nothing Bundt Cakes. I even had to grab a blue candle because August 18th is Percy Jackson's birthday. We have had a Percy summer. Jonas has really gravitated towards these books (and away from all the WWII historical fiction books he's enjoyed in the past). It has been fun to read them together. I actually really love that he still lets me read to him at night. It's something we both look forward to. In any case, Kate informed me about Percy's birthday so I thought it would be fun to blow out a candle in his honor. We enjoyed our cakes and I loved hearing all about his day. He was proud of himself for not getting lost. He agrees that all the different classes and teacher expectations felt a little overwhelming, but after a couple of days, he seemed to settle in ok. He is excited about PE, Spanish, and band. He is really looking forward to learning the percussion this year. He is making new friends (although he hasn't exactly mastered their names yet) and still having fun with the old ones. He seems completely confident that he'll be able to handle the classwork...and I believe him. He has always been dedicated to doing well academically. I have no concerns with him being able to keep up with all the work. I just hope he enjoys it...and not endures it. I keep asking if he feels overwhelmed, and he says, "no." I really hope he has one of his best school years yet!













No comments:
Post a Comment