Wednesday, September 30, 2026

Simply September

Actually...there was nothing simple about September. As I look at my calendar, I have a feeling that the   "-BER" months are going to be a little crazy (at least September and October). We had a full month of fun though! This month, Jonas signed up for a flag football team through Salem Rec. He had a blast! He was a little worried that, because of his size, he wouldn't be able to play anything else but the defensive line, but he was wrong. He spent most of the season playing quarterback. He had some great passes (& completions), excellent flag pulls, awesome defensive pressure, and spectacular touchdowns. He even got a pick six! He was pretty stoked. More than that though, I loved watching his sincere sportsmanship. Even an opposing team's mom told me how kind she thought Jonas was during the game. I couldn't ask for a better compliment for my kid. I love that he had fun...and that he is not only a good athlete, but a great human. (Jonas and I also got to watch Nolan and Lincoln play flag football too. Carter played another little season of baseball, which was fun to watch as well.)








At the beginning of the month, Jonas, Jeff and I got to attend the Hale Center Theater's production of Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat. Jeff and I have enjoyed our season tickets, but we made sure to purchase an extra ticket for Jonas to come with us to this production. We knew he'd love it...and we weren't wrong! It was so vibrant and energy packed. In addition to the amazing vocalists and actors, they even had aerialists! It has been our favorite production of this season. At the end of the month, Jeff and I saw the production of Moriarty. I enjoy a good mystery and this didn't disappoint either. 



Nichole actually visited us twice this month. First, she flew in over Labor Day weekend to celebrate her daughter's birthday with her. She got to stay for the week so when Kate was working (and I wasn't busy), we got to hang out. One afternoon (Wednesday, September 9th), we met up with Sandy and Shar (Nichole's cousin from the Lowe side of the family) in Midway to spend a girly afternoon looking at all the cute boutique shops and enjoying a yummy lunch. Friday (September 11th) of that week, Nichole was gracious enough to come help me and Addie's mom, Whitnie, with some floral arrangements for Addie's bridal shower the following day. After we finished our piece, Nichole and I had lunch in downtown Ogden then went to the Ogden Temple before heading south. I have been so busy that it has been hard to find a time to go to the temple. I was so glad Nichole suggested we squeeze in a quick hour there. On our way south, we stopped in Sandy City to see the flag display honoring those who died on 9/11. We parked near the city office buildings and stumbled upon an additional flag display honoring Utah first responders before we walked across the street to see the 9/11 field. In the first grouping of flags, I stumbled upon the name of a firefighter from Payson that we knew. His death was so tragic and has lastingly impacted the lives of his widow and their 4 children. As I started to stroll through each of the flags, my heart hurt as I realized that each one represented a life. We walked across the street to see the nearly 3,000 flags representing those who died on 9/11 and I was overwhelmed. The field seemed endless! Attached to each flag was a little card about each individual who died that horrible day. Obviously I couldn't read all of them, but each card I did read tore at my heartstrings. How could something so diabolical happen? Why did so many people need to die? Good thing Nichole and I got to meet up with Sandy, Shar, and Krystle that night for a fun movie, Practical Magic 2, and dinner. We definitely needed something to laugh at after that somber experience. 











Saturday, September 12th, was Addie's bridal shower. Whitnie did an amazing job decorating and planning such a beautiful event. Addie's aunt, Lindsay, hosted the event. We enjoyed a yummy lunch, fun games, and a bloom bar. I can't believe they'll be married in a month! 









As if one bridal shower and one visit from Nichole wasn't enough, she flew up again the following week (Saturday, September 19th) for her soon-to-be daughter-in-law's, Sydney, bridal shower. We are so excited for Tyler and Sydney! They are the cutest couple. They've been together since high school so it's about time to really make it official. 


You would think that would be enough...but no! We had to celebrate Fall! I couldn't let this month go without our annual Fall Festival on the "Farm" with the Tanners. We hosted our annual chili dinner, carnival games, and caramel apple bar dessert on Sunday, September 13th. Yes, Fall hadn't technically started yet, but it was the only weekend we were both free. Prior to that Sunday, I took Beau to the local orchard to get some apples. It was a horrible year for the fruit farmers around here. There was a late freeze that killed most of the blossoms so the majority of the trees failed to yield anything. However, there were enough apples for us to grab a small box (unfortunately we didn't get to pick them ourselves...but we did pose some pictures in the orchard) for our caramel apple bar. There just wasn't enough for us to juice any this year so I just bought some pre-juiced cider to give away instead. We had a blast embracing all things Fall! I think this is the favorite season for the majority of us (at least the majority of the girls in the family). On top of the fun evening, Laurin also surprised us with a gender reveal. It's a BOY!! Carter finally gets a little brother. He was soooo excited. 
































On the official first day of Fall, Kate, Jonas, and I went out for our traditional seasonal treat (to welcome the new season) and stumbled upon the Jack-o-lantern display at the outlet mall when we went to look for new basketball shoes for Jonas. We took a little time to wander around the display and embrace all things Fall. 




We have a REALLY busy month coming up. I'm a little sad that I'm not sure that I'll have enough time to go to all the fall festivals or check off all the items on previous year's Fall bucket lists. Jonas has definitely moved on from all the corn mazes and hay rides. Maybe I'll drag Beau or the Irons kiddos to one or two...if we have time. If not, I'm glad I was able to squeeze in a few fun Fall things this month. Wish us luck on surviving the busy-ness of October!


No comments:

Post a Comment