Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Valentines Day

Happy Valentines Day! I know this is a "Hallmark holiday" and that expectations rise each year regarding gift giving or big gestures; however, I am grateful for a holiday that allows us to take a moment to remember those we love. Obviously, this day is dedicated to the romantic type of love, but I enjoy being able to share this day, not only with Jeff, but with the kids too. As is my tradition, I started putting little hearts on each of their doors on February 1st leading up to the 14th. On each of the hearts, I wrote a little something that I love about each one of them specifically. (I also did this for Jeff.) It may not be something that the boys get excited about, but I'm grateful that I can stop and reflect on my individual love and admiration for these kids. Each one of them is so different and each one brings a different aspect of joy (and some grief) to this family. It's nice to have a holiday to focus on their strengths rather than the areas for improvement.

Jonas's door

Dallin and Daniel's doors
Since Valentines was on a Tuesday, Jeff and I decided to do our traditional Valentines date the Saturday before. (We never know what to expect on weeknights.) Each year, we like to go to the temple to do vicarious sealings (or weddings) for those who didn't have the opportunity to do so on this earth. It has always been something we look forward to doing. It is a sacred moment (and little bit romantic) to help these deceased families to be sealed for eternity while also being able to reflect on the day we were married. Marriage isn't always easy, but it is worth it. I am so grateful that Jeff found me. I wish I could say it's been a honeymoon since our marriage, but it hasn't. It has been probably the toughest 4 years of my life, but also the most joyous. I will be the first to admit I'm not perfect. I have had to grow and change a lot, but the best part is that Jeff will admit the same about himself. We are growing together. Sometimes the growing pains hurt, but once we've worked through them, we feel closer than ever before. I loved Jeff the day we got married, but that love has evolved into something more sacred and more beautiful than I ever felt on that day over 4 years ago.

We had dinner at Dalton's after our temple date.
On Valentines Day itself, I gave each of the boys a card and a little sweet treat to enjoy...even Jeff, although his "sweet" treat was a Red Lobster gift card. In return, Jeff gave me the BEST Valentines gift EVER! He purchased advanced VIP tickets to see Beauty and the Beast (my all-time FAVORITE Disney princess movie) in leather recliners coupled with a gift card to have lunch at Thanksgiving Point (where we will be seeing the movie) prior to the show. I know I felt loved...and I truly hope they felt/feel loved. I hope they feel that love all year round, not just during this holiday. I know, as parents, we can sometimes get caught up in the "guidance and direction" part of raising children, which isn't always the warm, fuzzy aspect of parenting. I can only hope the kids see through all our imperfections to know that they are truly a treasure to us.





No comments:

Post a Comment