Saturday, April 22, 2023

When heaven touches earth...

I'm not going to lie. Life is super busy right now and slightly stressful. I keep looking at my calendar trying to find where I've scheduled a time to sleep or, heck, even breathe! "Why did I schedule something else?!", I thought as I looked at the planned family activities for this particular Saturday. Why couldn't I have simply let this Saturday go? I know I'm trying to soak in all the family time we have before Danny leaves, but seriously?! Why did I schedule something on one of the only free Saturdays between now and the end of June? I honestly wondered if it was going to be another headache. Another family wrangling session where I tried to encourage everyone to positively engage with each other in an activity that maybe they really didn't want to do. Yes, they all agreed to come, but was it under duress? Did they really want to come or did they feel obligated to do so because others decided to come? All of these thoughts tumbled through my mind as I slipped on a skirt and prepared myself to attend the Saratoga Springs Temple open house with all my family (minus Laurin and Carter...they were actively involved in potty training) then grabbed a pair of jeans to change into afterward when we took everyone to Ashton Gardens for the tulip festival. I was looking forward to both things, but I contemplated whether or not we should've just skipped both or maybe just found time for Jeff and I to make a date out of it. We met up with Casey and Everly at the park-and-ride to carpool to the open house. Amber, Jacob, and Dallin met us there. As we approached the temple a feeling of peace and joy swept over me. I was suddenly excited to take my family to the House of the Lord. I was thrilled to be able to walk through the temple with Jonas and show him what we get to do inside. I was genuinely looking forward to seeing the beautiful artwork and masterful craftsmanship...and I didn't seem to be the only one. As we wandered those sacred halls, each of us walked in awe of the beauty that surrounded us. We all seemed to be energized by its beauty. We discussed the ordinances we complete and the covenants we make. We pointed out the paintings and stained glass and contemplated its symbolism. When I exited, I felt rejuvenated...and that feeling continued. 


We grabbed a quick lunch then headed to the beautiful Ashton Gardens. I love the tulip festival. Unfortunately, due to the longer winter weather, there weren't as many tulips as I'd hoped for, but there was plenty of beauty that surrounded us. Again, I was a little worried that there would be grumblings from some of our party as to why we were walking through the gardens, but when Jacob produced a frisbee from his coat, I knew all would be well. The boys played frisbee as we walked through the gardens while I was able to enjoy the creative beauty of our master Creator. At one point, Jeff and I just sat on the grass with Amber and Everly as we watched the boys toss the frisbee. This was heaven...and it continued.














That evening, we finally found some time to squeeze in a photo session for Danny's mission and graduation pictures. Krystle was crazy enough to say yes to taking those pictures and we set off on an evening of adventure. In my mind, I reflected back on the little 8-year-old boy who looked at me with such anticipation and love on the day I married his dad. Our journey has taken some crazy roads since then. Our relationship has ebbed and flowed as we traversed all the difficulties of physical and emotional growth. Yet, here we were...in a good space; a space that offers forgiveness and love; a space of hope and anxious anticipation of good things to come. 

Today was one of those days when heaven reaches down and touches us. A day full of family and fun. A day spent in His house and His creation. A day that rejuvenated a mother's heart. There is nothing more sacred than witnessing the growth of faith and family. Today I witnessed both. Today heaven touched earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment