Tuesday, July 18, 2017

A Tribute to Greg

Twenty years ago, the Southwick family suffered an incomprehensible loss. Rodney and Penny's oldest son, Greg, passed away from cancer after a valiant fight. Every year on his birthday, Katie bakes a cake then invites us over to sing Happy Birthday and to share memories of her big brother. However, this year was a little different. We still ate cake; we still sang Happy Birthday; we still shared memories, but this year we did it a couple days before his birthday because several of us made the trek to Basalt, Colorado on his birthday to visit his grave.

Sunday night (July 16), we all met at Katie's house. Penny brought videos to share. It was funny to see Jeff as a little kid. It was poignant to see Greg - a man I've never met, but whom had an incredible influence on my husband and in-laws.



The next day (Monday July 17), Jeff, Danny, Jonas, Rodney, Penny, Stan, Kristi, their kids, and I packed up and headed to Colorado. The area we were staying in was where Kristi grew up.  We spent the afternoon walking down Memory Lane with her. I love Kristi. She is one of the kindest, most patient people I know. It was fun to see where she grew up. She and Stan even took us to where they had their first date - Rifle Falls. It was beautiful! The boys loved finding and exploring caves while we hiked around. That evening, Stan, Kristi and their kids visited with Kristi's family while the rest of us enjoyed the pool at the hotel and dinner in New Castle.











The whole gang: Grant, Alisha, Jeff, Jonas, Stan, Kristi, Bennett, Travis, Maci, Gma Penny, Carson, Grumpy, Danny





Jeff decided to climb up a rock face without having Jonas secured in a backpack. I wasn't too excited about that.


They made it safe.


Grant - on top of the world.









The following day (Tuesday July 18) was Greg's birthday. We started our morning with another hike, but this one was a little more difficult than Rifle Falls. We hiked back to Hanging Lakes. It is a gorgeous hike...even if it is rocky and uphill all the way there! The final destination is worth every drop of sweat. We have hiked this before during our first family vacation back in 2013. I remembered it was a more difficult hike, but I felt empowered as I was able to ascend the trail with minimal trouble. Sometimes I think we forget that we are stronger than we think we are!

Danny was ready to tackle the trail!






Thank goodness for a couple of benches along the trail!







Breathtaking!



Spouting Rock




Jonas was wiped out from the hard hike on top of Jeff's shoulders. 


We made it!
After the hike, we decided to stop in Glenwood Springs to have lunch and browse a few stores before going to the grave site. I love Colorado towns! They all seem to have these quaint, inviting downtown areas. Glenwood Springs is a pretty big town and there was a lot of traffic, but we still enjoyed our short stroll. We even stopped at the same ice cream shop we visited back in 2013!
We had burgers at The Grind! Good food!




Finally, it was time to head to Basalt. There isn't much in the little town Greg lived in before he died. We stopped at the trailer resort he was living in when he passed away. Jeff says it has totally changed, but it was still somber to be in the area in which Greg spent some of his last days.
At the grave site, we all wrote birthday notes to Greg then filled up helium balloons. We sang Happy Birthday and released the balloons. It was hard to hold back the tears as I saw the balloons float away. I know Greg will never physically get the balloons, but the symbolism was heart-rending. After the balloons floated out of sight, those who knew Greg shared more memories. I even read a letter that Julie sent to be read. By that time, I couldn't hold back my tears. I wish I could have known Greg. I wish he could have known his boys. I am grateful for the gospel. I am grateful that I know we can all be together again some day and that life doesn't end at the grave. I look forward to meeting Greg one day.












Wednesday (July 19) we headed back to Utah, but before leaving beautiful Colorado we found a secluded dirt road to explore. The road wound through a small canyon following a small stream. At one point, we got out of the car and let the kids play in the stream. It was a gorgeous way to end our Colorado adventure.










No comments:

Post a Comment