Saturday, January 27, 2018

Weekend getaway

This weekend was an extension of our anniversary celebrations. For Christmas, Jeff gave me tickets to see Bill Engvall at Abravenal Hall. As an added bonus, he also booked at room at the Grand America. That was seriously the best Christmas present! I didn't need the swanky hotel or even the hilarious comedy show, but I did need a weekend away with my best friend. Sometimes life comes at us so quickly that we are frantically juggling all that's thrown our way...and often times that means we are dividing and conquering. There have been days that have passed with no more than a few minutes spent together in passing before the day ends. Needless to say, this weekend was the perfect little excursion to reconnect and relax. We started our getaway with dinner at The Roof restaurant, which overlooks Temple Square. Jeff brought me to that restaurant on our first date. It seemed only fitting to return to celebrate 5 years together.



After dinner, we wandered around Temple Square, the Church History Museum, and City Creek Center before the comedy show. Again, this is something we did on our first date. A lot has happened over the last 5 years. There have been more bumps than we predicted and definitely more differences of opinion than originally anticipated; yet, through it all, our love has only grown. It is amazing how even during the most difficult moments you can feel so much love and respect for each other. I married my best friend. I am in awe by his goodness and his patience through it all. It is comforting to know that he is committed to an eternity with me...and vice versa.


This was a painting by Joseph Paul Vorst of the Garden of Gethsemane that was on display at the Church History Museum.

Jeff and I sat at this fountain at City Creek Center on our first date and were surprised to see the fire and water show. It was fun to see it again.

Finally we made our way to Abravenal Hall where we enjoyed an evening of laughter! Bill Engvall is a very talented comedian. He can turn a common story into a hilarious escapade. I'm not sure when the last time was that we laughed that hard. It felt good! We continued to laugh all the way back to the hotel...and into the next day.

We are actually in this picture sitting on the first tier, second row, first two seats from the right side of the first section.


I loved the fact that we didn't have to rush home after the comedy show. I loved it even more knowing that I wouldn't have a toddler waking me up in the middle of the night (although honestly I woke up about the time he normally does thinking, "Where's Jonas?"). The room was beautiful. We were on the 14th floor. While there isn't much of a view, it was still charming. The next day we had a delicious breakfast at the Garden Cafe before walking through some of the little stores at the hotel. We checked out and returned to Temple Square and City Creek Center to wander a little more before heading home. It was another perfect weekend!








No comments:

Post a Comment