Saturday, July 21, 2018

July summer fun!

It seems like the past few summers have followed a similar pattern: June = camps and conferences then July = family visits and summer fun! (August usually just involves boring stuff like getting ready for school and doctors/dentist appointments.) This summer followed that same pattern. After all the camps and conferences in June, we welcomed family into town and enjoyed fun activities all month long. Nichole, Tyler and Kate were the first to come to town; however, Nichole and Tyler only stayed a couple days before leaving for an 18 day trip to Italy and Greece. (Kate got to stay behind and party with us though!) The first day they were here (Thursday, June 28), Jeff, Dallin, Jonas and I were still in Manti at Youth Conference, but Danny was home so he got to go with them to the Homestead Crater in Midway, Utah. The Crater is a geothermal spring, hidden within a 55-foot tall, beehive-shaped limestone rock. Jeff and I have been once on our first anniversary. It is a pretty amazing naturally created phenomenon. Danny loved snorkeling! He said he wants to go back to learn how to scuba dive.


Nichole and Tyler left for Europe the following day, but the party was just starting for us! The following Saturday (June 30), Kaia and Scott joined us for some fun before Mom, Dad, Jeff and I left for our Alaskan cruise. All the kids wanted to go to Lowe's Xtreme Air so off we went. I love that the kids like to run, jump, and tumble. I wished I was more physically coordinated. I love watching them do things I could never do (flips, cartwheels, etc.). Most of all, I just like watching them have fun.














Mom, Dad, Jeff and I left on our Alaskan cruise on Sunday, July 1. While we were away, Kate went o stay with Krystle and her boys. Dallin, Laurin, and Daniel took care of Jonas for us. They were also able to have some fun while we were gone. One day, they met up with Krystle, Kate and the boys to swim at Black Ridge reservoir. Another day, the older kids were able to meet up with their Oliver cousins to go boating at Yuba Lake. During the rest of the week, they indulged in some ice cream and other messy fun. 

Danny and his friend, Noah, at the Reservoir








Once we returned, Kate came back to stay with us...and the fun continued. Mom and Dad stayed an extra week to spend time with everyone before returning to AZ. During that week, Kaia was able to come stay the night with us again. The first day (Tuesday, July 10), I took Kate, Kaia and Jonas to Payson Pool to swim. It's been a rather warm summer, which made the pool the perfect way to cool off. Afterwards, I even treated my nieces and Mom (and of course Jonas) to Farr's Ice Cream. (That became a favorite place for Kate. We went back at least 2 other times before she left.)

The next day (Wednesday, July 11), Mom, Kate, Kaia and I went to check off a bucket list item for me. Since I found out about it, I have always wanted to do a formal tea at the Grand America hotel in Salt Lake City. We all got dressed up and headed north. I actually really enjoyed the experience. I like getting dressed up. I like having new experiences. I really like doing it with people I love. I can't say that a forma tea is something I would enjoy doing every day (or at least I would change up the menu items a little...too many fancy food combinations for my taste buds), but I really enjoyed it that day. I even enjoyed the hibiscus herbal tea I had...and that's saying something because I don't normally enjoy hot drinks. All in all, it was the perfect afternoon.






 
Mom and Dad left on Sunday, July 15, but not before we had a chance to spend a quiet evening in a sacred place - the Payson LDS temple. I love having a temple so close to where I live. I love the refuge I can seek within its walls. I love that I got to spend that quiet time with Mom, Dad, Krystle and Jordan (Jeff was with Danny at a scout camp...sorry, no pictures).
We also visited Payson City's annual Scottish Festival on Saturday, July 14, before Mom and Dad left. Dad's grandmother was a Fife from Scotland, and he was excited to go find out which clan we belonged to. He has secretly always wanted to wear a kilt, but unfortunately we found out that the Fifes were not from the Highland. They were from a lowland district that didn't technically have a clan or a specific tartan. Dad was pretty disappointed, but thankfully we found other family clans we belonged to! Whew! Crisis averted! We all enjoyed exploring the booths, watching the dancers and musicians, and witnessing the strength of those participating in the athletic competitions. 





Krystle and her boys joined us at the Festival. The boys loved playing on the playground and riding the train.


That evening, Kaia got to join us again. This time, we took the kids ice skating. Again, this is another physical activity that I never mastered...and at this point in my life, I have no desire to do so. Luckily, Jeff can skate and he was glad to take Jonas out on the ice for his first time skating! I really hope Jonas follows in his father's and brothers' footsteps and is more coordinated than I am. At first, Jonas wasn't too sure about the experience but by the end, he was having a blast! I guess we'll have to go again so he can master the skill. Kate, Danny and Kaia also had a blast.



 


Tyler and Nichole finally returned to Utah late in the evening on Tuesday, July 17. Kate was so excited to have them home! Nichole was a trooper and kept up a relatively normal summer pace (she's usually the energizer bunny when they come up for the summer!) in spite of her significant jet lag. The following night (Wednesday, July 18), Nichole, Krystle, Kate and I went to see Newsies at Hale Center Theater in Sandy. I LOVED that musical when I was younger. (I secretly had a crush on Christian Bale, who played the main character, Jack Kelly.) Watching the production brought back all those fun childhood memories. I'm not sure Kate appreciated it as much as Nichole, Krystle and I did, but it was fun to share the experience with her too.



On Thursday, July 19, we decided to spend another afternoon at the pool, only this time we decided to go to Provo Rec Center. Jonas has LOVED pool days! It is fun (and slightly scary) to watch Jonas get braver and braver in his water activities. Before, he never really wanted to get splashed or get too wet. Now he loves to run in the fountains, go down all the slides, and jump off the side of the pool into my anxiously awaiting arms. I keep working with him on water safety and swimming techniques. He gets better and better, but still has a loooooong way to go before I feel comfortable leaving him unsupervised. Danny, on the other hand, had a blast going down the slides, playing hide and seek, climbing up the rock walls, etc. After the pool, we grabbed some dinner and went up Provo Canyon to enjoy the evening. Krystle and her boys joined us up there. The little boys loved riding bikes while the older boys and Jeff enjoyed tossing the Frisbee around. I love that the mountains are so close to enjoy!






Friday (July 20) Nichole, Kate, Jonas, Krystle, Jordan, her boys, and I went to SLC to visit the Hall of Breakfast pop up museum. Before we headed to SLC, Nichole, Kate, Jonas and I picked up glazed donuts from Cowboy Donuts, Krispy Kreme, and Lehi Bakery for our annual taste test. It seems like we do one of these each year. Last year, we did it with sugar cookies. Dallin, Tyler, and Danny joined us for the taste test and then for lunch at City Creek Center before ditching us to hang out at Scheels instead of the museum. Lehi Bakery won the taste test with a unanimous vote!


The little kids (and Danny and Kate) enjoyed playing in the kiddie play area at City Creek Center Food Court before heading over to the museum. I love that there are play areas around the food courts. It gives me at least 2 minutes of uninterrupted eating time!


The Hall of Breakfast museum was actually pretty fun! I was pleasantly surprised. I was initially skeptical because it basically looked like a museum to pose for pictures and nothing more. However, there was a bacon slide, donut swings, smoothie ball pits and more! The kids had fun. I think Jonas like the donut swing and ball pit the best. We spent nearly two hours having fun with breakfast foods.




























Nichole, Tyler and Kate returned to Arizona on Sunday, July 22, but not before joining us for Jonas's 3rd birthday party (we celebrated early so they could join us - see next post for more details about his birthday celebrations). After the party, Nichole, Krystle and I left all the kids with Jeff and Jordan for a little sister time. We went to see Mama Mia 2. (Let's be honest, Jeff and Jordan wanted us to go see the movie with each other so they wouldn't have to take us to see the movie themselves.) It was a fun, cheesy chick flick, but the best part was just being with my sisters. I love that Krystle lives here now and that Nichole is a quick flight away. I wish she lived closer but love that she spends a few weeks of her summer with us. 

It is always sad to see my family head back to Arizona. The house is so much quieter without all the energy and fun they bring. Even though this wasn't an event/activity packed summer like it usually is when Nichole is with us the whole time, we still had fun on the farm. The kids enjoyed picking cherries and strawberries, riding the cow, chasing chickens, having water fights, playing dress up, wrestling Uncle Scott, and more. There is nothing more important than family. There is nothing more fun than being with family. It never matters what we're doing, as long as we're together we find fun.

Kate and Kaia

Camden

Nolan



Jordan and Lincoln



































How we all feel after a long day of FUN!







No comments:

Post a Comment