Thursday, March 5, 2020

My 41st Birthday!

Happy birthday to me! I have to say 41 hasn't been as exciting as other years. I guess I've finally reached the age where wisdom and maturity have made me realize that a birthday is just a day...or a week...or a month. ;) I still love to celebrate it, but it was much more low-key this year. The day before my birthday (because I love to spread out the fun) I went to the temple. I can't think of a better place to go to feel grateful for what I have been given. My life is just that...a gift! It hasn't always been my favorite gift, but it is so beautiful and real and raw. I am incredibly blessed!

That afternoon, I got to take a drive with Jeff and Jonas to finally pick up the Bel-Air. I may have said that before because we thought it was finished a few weeks ago, but after picking it up and bringing it home, we realized that there were still some issues to be addressed so we drove it back down to Ephraim. In any case, on the way down, we got to stop at three cemeteries where some of my ancestors are buried. I have really enjoyed this genealogical journey. I love reading their stories or simply being where they were. In reading the second Saints novel from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it talks about the Danish saints who settled the Ephraim area...and my ancestors were a part of those saints! They are not specifically named in the book, but I wonder as I read stories about the other Danish saints if my ancestors didn't know or associate with them.
Burial site for James Fife. He is buried next to his only son from his second wife.




Spring City Pioneer Cemetery - burial site of Maria Fransdatter Nielsen. Unknown grave location due to erosion of grave markers.



Ephraim Pioneer Cemetery - burial site of Carl Gottlieb Nielsen. Unknown grave location due to erosion of grave markers.



And what pre-birthday celebration would be complete without a little treat?! I love Chip cookies!

My actual birthday started when Jonas entered my room (early...like usual) and immediately wished me a happy birthday. (Jeff actually beat him to the punch by wishing me a happy birthday with my traditional roses and homemade card only minutes before Jonas did.) Next, I received a flood of birthday texts and posts from friends and family. I felt very loved as I read each birthday wish. To make the morning even better, Dallin got to call! I love that he remembered, and I love that he wanted to. He even wrote me a very sincere email. It's not often, as a parent, that we get to hear "Thank you" from our children. My eyes filled with tears as he expressed to me what I mean to him and this family. If the day would have stopped right there, it still would have been a great birthday! I don't need gifts. I simply want to be remembered. I want people to take time to help make my day special...and so many did!


 After the morning birthday greetings, I headed out for a little "me" time before my traditional birthday lunch. I got a pedicure and did a little shopping then I met up with Jeff and Jonas at the Communal restaurant in downtown Provo. I honestly don't eat here that often, but it was one of the first restaurants I went to in Utah that reminded me a little of one I could find in AZ...and it's been a tradition ever since. After lunch, we walked down to the Provo Bakery to get my traditional (I know...I really like "traditions"!) lemon cake. Aftewards, we decided to hike (or walk) up to Bridal Veil Falls. This is the first birthday I've had in Utah that it's actually been warm enough to enjoy being outside! Spring is so variable here that I literally never know what to expect weather-wise for my birthday.











 That evening, Jeff made my traditional birthday dinner ("fried" chicken, mashed potatoes, and green beans). Amber, Jacob, and Casey (Laurin had to work) joined us. I loved spending the evening with my family. I received incredibly thoughtful gifts from everyone. Laurin and Casey are planning a double date with Jeff and I. Amber and Jacob got me a watercolor painting of one of my wedding pictures. Danny got me a date night with him to see the movie Mulan. And Jonas got me a game that we could play together.







It was a perfect way to wrap up the day...but not the celebrations! A couple days later (Saturday, March 7), my parents and Kate flew into town to enjoy their Spring Break with us. I picked them up from the airport and went straight out to a birthday breakfast at the Original Pancake House! Ok...now I think I'm done with all my birthday celebrations...until next year. It was nice to be able to enjoy so much of it with all of my family. They are my greatest gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment