Sunday, July 4, 2021

Happy 4th of July

Happy Independence Day! Summer is full swing and what better way to keep the party going than to celebrate the great nation we live in. Jonas and I have recently been reading a historical fiction series that highlights some significant events in the world's history. One book focused on the American Revolution. I loved being able to share my love for this country with Jonas. We talked about all the brave men and women who sacrificed so much to allow us to live in a nation that allows us to be free. We discussed what those freedoms are and are responsibility to maintain those rights and respecting the rights of others. I know our nation isn't perfect. I know there are plenty of historical atrocities and current injustices, but I can't imagine living anywhere else. I have had the privilege of traveling the world and there is sincerely no place like the United States of America. I get teary-eyed any time I sing the National Anthem or watch military reunions. I even cried as I read this book. This is my home...as imperfect and flawed that it may seem. It was built upon the blood, sweat, and tears of so many incredibly brave patriots....and today is a day to celebrate that! The 4th was on a Sunday this year. I loved meeting with our friends and neighbors to sing patriotic hymns in the morning before enjoying the rest of the day with family. My parents were with us all day. It was their first time meeting Carter. 



That evening, Scott, Kat, Katie and Greg joined us for our traditional burger dinner. And what patriotic meal would be complete without a festive dessert?



Finally, it was time for the fireworks show. Carter wasn't going to make it until dark so we set off a few fountains before he went to bed. He liked the colors, but not the sounds. Poor little guy!


After we put him down, we joined our neighbors for our annual pyrotechnics. How we've made it this long without a major incident is beyond me! Still, this is the best fireworks show! 











The next morning, Jeff was invited to speak at a neighbor's flag ceremony. He pulled from our recent road trips of nearly half the states in the nation as he spoke about the beauty of our country and the convictions of its citizens. He recounted the bravery of those who fought for freedom and how we still continue that fight today. I am proud to be an American!
My parents moved to Krystle's house that morning and we spent a large part of the day hiking one of our favorite trails up Santaquin Canyon. We haven't hiked the White Pine Trail in a couple years because of all the fire/flood damage in the area. The trail has changed drastically! You can see where sides of the mountain careened down the valley and re-routed the water. It's crazy what Mother Nature is capable of! Still, it's a gorgeous trail and we were grateful to hike it. I honestly can't think of a better way to top off our 4th festivities than to be out in the beauty of the land of the free and home of the brave!














No comments:

Post a Comment