Thursday, November 27, 2014

Thanksgiving

While at times I think of this day as the "day of gluttony", I know its meaning is much more than just the food we eat. I am grateful for a day that is set aside to truly reflect and give thanks for those things we have. I am incredibly blessed! As I took a quiet moment that morning to reflect on my blessings, I felt overwhelmed. The Lord truly does love me. I know I have had my struggles and there have been moments of depression and despair, but I am not blind to the loving hand He has stretched forth to help me in my life. I have lived in and visited countries where poverty and oppression were the norm. I have seen children born into abusive homes. I have witnessed the emotional void that some experience because of a lack of truth, light and knowledge in their lives. I have been so blessed! I have an amazing family who has always been there to offer love and support. I am privileged to be married to my best friend and eternal love. I have been given material belonging that surpass my needs. I live in a free country. I have been blessed with faith and a knowledge of my Savior and Redeemer. I know there are still things (such as a child of my own) that I still long for, but I know there is so much more I have been given than what has been withheld from me. Yes, I am sincerely grateful for this day when we get to display the divine virtue of gratitude and recall the blessings we have in our lives - no matter how big or small.

Our day started like that of most others - Turkey Bowl! This year we spent Thanksgiving with the Southwicks. We had Jeff's parents, sister Katie, brother Stan (and his family), and sister-in-law Trudy (and her boys). Jeff's grandparents also joined us for part of the festivities. In any case, the boys (plus Amber) played a little football in the backyard while the rest of us prepared our Thanksgiving feast.

We ended up having our feast at lunch so that Laurin could join us before she had to race back up to Ogden for work. There were over 20 of us there...which made me grateful for the large home I have to accommodate all of us! Now if I can just figure out how to turn down the Southwick volume at times! Anyways, if any of you know the Southwicks, you know that there is never a shortage of food around...that was definitely the case today! We all feasted and still had enough to piece on for dinner that night and for days after!


After eating, we spent the rest of the day enjoying each others' company, playing games, and just hanging out at the house. It was another great Thanksgiving!



No comments:

Post a Comment