Sunday, June 18, 2017

Father's Day

Today is the one day out of the year that we set aside to truly honor the fathers in our lives. I wish we didn't need a day to express our love and appreciation. I know we all express our gratitude in small ways every day, but I'm not sure we truly take the time to tell them how much we love them or how much they mean to us...until the next Father's Day rolls around. I am sincerely grateful for the fathers in my life. I'm grateful to my father who taught me how to laugh amidst the storms of life. My daddy exemplified optimism and was always there with comfort when needed. Even though my mom was often the lighthouse guiding our way, Dad was the rock we all depended on. In addition to my father, my father-in-law has blessed my life. He is a guiding force in our lives. He has shown me kindness and unconditional love. Lastly (but certainly not least), Jeff has been an amazing example of fatherhood. I was lucky enough to see him in action before we got married...and he gets even better every year. He truly loves his children unconditionally. I know they may say he can be pretty rigid at times, yet I know they know there is no one better standing in their corner. He does everything he can to support and sustain each one of them. There are no bounds to the love he possess for them. I often reflect on each of these fathers and catch glimpses into what my Father in Heaven must be like...comforting, positive, kind, loving, firm yet supportive...and always in my corner. I am truly grateful for these men who have sacrificed so much to be the great dads they are now.

In honor of Jeff, the kids got him several fun gifts. Jonas bought him a new puzzle to work on as a family. Dallin and Daniel got him his favorite cheese (horseradish...yuck!) and a Bocce ball set. Laurin got him new baseball bases for when we play as a family, and Amber wrote and recorded a song for him. (She also got him a light that shines in the toilet at night so he won't miss the bowl. Haha!) Jeff loved all his gifts. We then invited Grumpy over (and Gma Penny, Katie and Greg) to join us for dinner. Jeff chose prime rib, mashed potatoes, and asparagus with banana cream pie for dessert. It was a fun-filled family evening...and it was a great day to honor great men!


This was how Jeff enjoyed the afternoon.
Puzzle time!

No comments:

Post a Comment