Friday, February 16, 2018

A week of celebrations...

This was a week of celebrations! Not only did we have Valentines Day, but we also celebrated Gma Penny's birthday and Chinese New Year! You know me...any excuse to have a party or make the day a little more unique and special!. Our celebrations started by celebrating Gma Penny's birthday on Sunday (2/11). Technically, her birthday is on Valentines Day, but it's easier to get everyone together on a Sunday rather than a Wednesday. I truly feel lucky to have such a great mother-in-law. I have heard horror stories of women who don't get along with their mothers-in-law. I am grateful not to be a part of that club. Gma Penny is such a selfless, patient person. She is always willing to help without complaint. She knows when to offer advice and when to let us learn on our own. It has been a privilege to call her "mom".




Wednesday (2/14) was Valentines Day. I know some people feel this has become an over-commercialized holiday. To be honest, I don't disagree, but why pass up a day dedicated to expressing love to those we care about? Each day (starting Feb. 1) leading up to February 14, I put a heart on the boys' (including Jeff's) doors stating a reason that I love them. I'm not sure if this is for them or for me. It is humbling to sit down a list 14 reasons each of why I love them as individuals. I am reminded of what good boys they are and how lucky I am to have them in my life. On Valentines Day, I gave them some small treats/gifts in the morning then ordered a heart pizza with Lehi Bakery donuts and chocolate covered strawberries for dessert. Jeff took me out to dinner at Dalton's in Payson (our only real restaurant). It is nothing over the top, but I hope they all felt loved. I know I did. Between Jeff's card and his effort to take me out to dinner, I felt cherished and appreciated...then again, I feel that often. It doesn't take Valentines Day to let the people you love know you love them.











Finally, Friday was Chinese New Year! I know there are TONS of international holidays that I miss, but I like celebrating Chinese New Year (and Cinco de Mayo). I have always loved the idea of new starts and fresh beginnings. I think that's why I look forward to new years, new months, new weeks, new days. Each day can be a new beginning. Chinese New Year is fun because an animal is attached to it. This year is the year of the dog. I got the boys little dog gifts along with their lucky red envelopes stuffed with "gold" (aka chocolate) coins. We had Chinese food for dinner. Again, nothing big; nothing over the top - just a little something unique and special. It was a fun week!



No comments:

Post a Comment