Saturday, July 26, 2014

Summer 2014: Week 8

Oh what do you do in the summertime when all the fun is gone?! WORK! This week was the first week all summer that no one had any camp to go to, there were no visitors in town, and there was no family trip planned. I enjoyed the drastic slow down in the pace we've been keeping up, but the boys didn't quite know what to do...so Jeff put them to work. On Tuesday (22nd) and Wednesday (23rd), Jeff solicited help from the boys in pulling a well and replacing the pump. They worked hard! They have been doing little odd jobs all summer to earn money to pay off the small loans (from the bank of Mom and Dad) they used to get their upgraded motorbikes. Now they are almost finished paying those off. I am proud of the fact that they know how to work. They may not always like it (especially Danny), but when it comes down to it, they can get out there and work. The girls are in the same boat. You won't be seeing many pictures of them in the coming weeks because we hardly see them. Since they started working the graveyard shift for Payson Fruit Growers on top of their normal jobs the only time they're home is when they're sleeping, which poses a problem for me. What do I do with two rowdy, energetic boys when I need them to be quiet indoors? Bake. Luckily Jeff had the boys out of the house for two of the days, but there were still a couple afternoons that I was scrambling to know how to keep the boys entertained and quiet without the use of a TV or computer. So we made three loaves of zucchini bread one day and chocolate chip cookies another day. 

At least on Thursday (24th), I didn't have to come up with some creative plan to keep them entertained. Instead, we (along with Jeff's parents and grandparents) went up Santaquin Canyon to shoot pellet guns and have a dutch oven picnic for Pioneer Day. Jeff isn't too keen on big crowds and parades so since we did that last year, we decided to have a more quiet celebration this year.

Like father, like son.

Even Grandma Penny got in the action. One shot and she hit the bullseye!


Like father, like sons.
After we spent a few hours up the canyon, we headed back to Jeff's parents' house to cool off (because according to everyone else it was getting hot up there...they obviously haven't been to AZ in the summer!) before going to see a movie. The boys watched the new Transformers movie while the rest of us enjoy Maleficent. Once the movies ended, we finally went back to the house. I enjoyed spending the day with the family. Jeff has been really busy with work so it was nice to have him around for the day. I was sad the girls had to miss out, but am proud of them for working so hard. Still, I felt like I didn't really get to celebrate Pioneer Day. You know me - I love holidays, but I also love the reason behind the holiday. I love being able to celebrate why it is we have this day to spend with our families and have fun, so that night I logged onto FamilySearch.org. I decided to explore some of my own pioneer ancestry. Jeff sat with me as I read stories about my great-great-great grandfather, Charles Shumway. Many of the stories I had heard before. Charles Shumway was the first Mormon Pioneer to cross the Mississippi River in the exodus west. He was also in the first company to enter the Salt Lake valley on July 22, 1847 - two days before Brigham Young arrived. He was often sent ahead of the pioneers to negotiate safe passage and treaties of peace with the Indians. He was gifted with languages and was a fearless, strong man (he was also a bodyguard to the Prophet Joseph Smith in Nauvoo). What I didn't know though was that he actually lived in Payson, Utah for about a year. He was sent south to help build up settlements. One of his first stops was Payson. He helped build a saw/grist mill here. He only stayed for about a year. It was cool to think after all these years here I am in the same place he helped settle. I am very proud of my pioneer ancestry. There are so many more stories from my ancestors that demonstrate the faith and courage it took to be a pioneer. I am so grateful for their sacrifices. I'm grateful to have their examples to fall back on when I feel that my trials are too much to bear. These people sacrificed everything for a gospel that they knew was true. Why else would they have done that? I still know that this gospel is true. The people of this church may be flawed, but the principles of the gospel of Jesus Christ are true. I am grateful and proud to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Charles Shumway and Louisa Minerly
Finally our week came to a close! Another week down! Only 3 more weeks to go (and a couple days) before school starts! Saturday (26th) Jeff and I again had to scramble to find something to do to keep the boys out of the house so the girls could sleep. So...we headed to Costco to indulge in the free samples. You might think I'm kidding, but I'm not. A month or so ago, I had to come to Costco on a Saturday and Jeff and Amber came with me. Jeff was quickly introduced to the sample tables and has enjoyed going back on Saturdays ever since then. The boys didn't mind either. Silly boys! After we filled our bellies (not all on free samples - we did get some cheap slices of pizza from the Deli before we left), we spent the afternoon shopping for back to school clothes. It was fun (for me at least) to see the boys be more selective in choosing their clothing items based on their individual budgets (Jeff and I sat down with each of them to discuss needs vs. wants and to establish a fair budget.) I hope they are learning valuable lessons with finances. I hope they will one day see that this was not meant to limit their wardrobe, but to increase their financial freedom.


After we finished shopping, we dropped the boys off at the Payson pool for the rest of the evening while Jeff went home to play with his new toy. Yup...I finally gave in. He got a Blendtec. He has been wanting one for months. I should never take him to Costco. Still, if it will help him (and the rest of the kids) to eat more veggies (because their hidden in yummy smoothies), I'm ok with that. So here's Jeff with his early birthday present. Happy early birthday sweetheart! I would say that even though it was a slow week, we still had some fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment