Thursday, December 21, 2023

Holiday Traditions and Fun!

Throughout the month, we have enjoyed so many fun activities and traditions (in addition to our acts of kindness). The day we returned from Disneyland (Saturday, December 2nd), Jeff and I had our traditional holiday date. We usually try to have one unique, festive date to celebrate the season. In years passed, we have done a holiday chocolate tasting, attended a dinner theater, etc. This year, we got to enjoy a Christmas concert at the Covey Theater in Provo. After some busy Disney days, it was nice to slow things down and bask in the beauty of the arts. The symphony, choir, and soloists were incredible. They inspired joy with fun holiday favorites and soothed our souls with sacred hymns about the Christ child. I loved that we all got to join in on the final song of the evening - Silent Night. So often, I get lost in the busy-ness of the season and I forget to slow down an experience it. I was grateful to have a moment where I embraced the faith and hope this season offers all because of one tiny babe born in Bethlehem. 



The following evening (Sunday, December 3rd), we invited all our kids over to indulge in our tradition of sugar cookies and the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional. Jeff, Jonas, Danny and I have done this for quite a few years, but it's usually just us because on the first Sunday of December, we generally celebrate Danny's birthday. Therefore, we record the devotional then watch it the next night while we decorate cookies since we are doing a family dinner and birthday dessert on that Sunday. Because of that, the older kids haven't joined us...but this year we could watch the devotional and decorate cookies on Sunday since Danny wasn't here to celebrate. (We did still enjoy one of his favorite meals for dinner as a way to remember and sort of celebrate his birthday even though he's not here.) I have to admit the evening was full of more chaos and noise than peace and silence, but I loved it. By the time the prophet spoke, the chaos had calmed down so we could truly enjoy his message and his prayers on our behalf. It was just another moment to point me back to the reason of the season.







The next weekend was another fun, festive-filled weekend. On Friday (December 8th), Jeff and I took Jonas to Hale Center Theater to see A Christmas Carol. This is our third year including Jonas on this tradition (Danny also came with us the previous couple of years). We love this timeless tale. We love the reminder it is to us of what this season is all about - love. The play itself doesn't specifically mention Christ, but who else embodies love so perfectly? In the story, Scrooge is reminded that our "business" on earth is mankind - not chasing the riches or material things of this existence. It's about our relationships with family, friends, neighbors, strangers, etc. It's about following Christ's example to love our neighbor as ourself. This is why we do our Christmas Acts of Kindness. This is what we hope permeates our children's memories of the holiday season - not the gifts they receive but the kindness, love, and gifts they give. I always cry as I watch a specific scene unfold as carolers sing Silent Night and the actors quietly give of their want to a little family with a tiny baby. Jonas kind of rolls his eyes as we passionately portray to him the beauty of this story and why we want him to watch it every year...but he gets it. I have seen him (and our other children in their own ways and traditions) give of himself and spread love and kindness. This is one of those Christmas traditions I will always cherish.



Another tradition is attending Luminaria at Thanksgiving Point (which we did on Saturday, December 9th)! This year was so fun! Carter (especially) and Everly were much more aware of the lights and interactive. It was so fun to see the sparkle in their eyes and to hear Everly exclaim, "Whoa!" Carter loved the jumping lights and probably could have played there all night (just like Jonas did a few years ago). We all enjoyed the sights, sounds and smells of the holidays as we wandered through the gardens. This year, I didn't feel rushed or crowded (even though there were plenty of people). I simply loved being there with my little family...and, to top it off, Jacob and Amber announced they were pregnant!! We are so excited to welcome another little member to our family!































Sunday (December 10th), Jeff, Jonas, Dallin, and I honored Hanukkah. This is our second year of incorporating some of the Hanukkah traditions into our holiday festivities. We did it last year because we had been studying the Old Testament all year...and this year we did it because we're ending the New Testament...and honest, just because! I love the symbolism of this religious tradition. I love the story behind the oil in the lamp and the miracle of its longevity. To be honest, we did not do Hanukkah justice at all, but we did honor certain traditions like foods and playing Dreidel. I didn't dare attempt the sufganiyot (jelly filled donut), especially when I can get delicious donuts from our local bakeries, but I actually made latkes this year and they turned out pretty good! We enjoyed our dinner then played a little bit of the dreidel game before lighting the menorah. 





Wednesday (Dec 13th) we held our annual ward Christmas party. This year, the ward leadership hosted a dinner with a live nativity put on by the children and youth. Jonas got to sing a couple of songs. (I got to help with the decorations.) It's an event I look forward to every year; not simply because of the good food, but because I get to mingle with so many incredible people in my community - people I look up to and admire. People I am blessed to call friends. Moreover, the spirit of the season is brought back into focus as we get to ponder on the brief account in Luke of our Savior's birth. It's moments like this that allow me to align my heart to the true reason for the season.





On Thursday (Dec 21st), I attended Jonas's school Christmas program to round out all our festive fun. He had a speaking part again this year and got selected with a few others to play a small drum in one of the songs. He was super excited...especially because it was all about Christmas! The students described different traditions and holiday festivities celebrated in our country. I am grateful that we have a melting pot of ideas that help us celebrate the season. I know we use some of those ideas that were generated from other countries. My favorite is our Christmas Eve luminaries - a Mexican tradition. Jonas had so much fun with his program. Now onto the main event!






(These are just some cute pictures of Carter and Everly destroying the gingerbread house we received from my aunt and uncle. {Just one of the many neighbor gifts we have received over the season.})










No comments:

Post a Comment