Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Back to School!

The kids are officially back in school! Woohoo! I survived my second summer...and I think everyone would agree that this summer was a little more smooth than last. I am amazed at how far we've come in such a short amount of time...and I am pleased with the direction we're heading in. It hasn't been easy for any of us, but we're getting there. We're learning each other's personalities and adapting to new expectations. It was fun to spend more time with the kids this summer; however, I think we're all glad school has started again...at least for the social aspect, maybe not all the homework. Monday (18th) I took Danny to meet his teacher. She is fresh out of college and has (dare I say) more energy than Danny so I think it will be a good fit.
That evening we had family night. For dinner, I prepared a back to school banquet. We feasted on carrot sticks, fruit cups, PB&J sandwiches, and juice boxes with "lunch lady bars" (chocolate/PB bars) for dessert. Afterwards, Jeff and I presented the kids with the 7-UPlifting things we hope will help them to be successful this school year. Finally, Jeff had the privilege and opportunity to give each child a father's blessing. I remember my father doing this at the beginning of each new school year. I remember yearning to hear the counsel I received from my earthly and heavenly Fathers and the blessings that would come through obedience. I am so grateful Jeff is worthy to administer these blessings through the Priesthood authority he holds. I think we were all able to feel the sweet peace that comes from the Spirit of God in our home. I know the kids were touched by the words that were spoken and the blessings pronounced. I am excited for each of them. This is going to be an adventurous year, especially for the girls. Laurin will be starting college (next week) and Amber is beginning her senior year. I have seen so much growth in each of the kids, and I know they will all do great this school year!

Tuesday (19th) was the first day of school. I am glad to be back in a routine again. I may not appreciate the early mornings, but I do appreciate being able to read the scriptures as a family and have family prayer before everyone goes their separate ways. After getting the kids off to school, I did NOTHING! Yup! And I didn't even feel guilty about it! I went to a breakfast party one of my friends (Rachael Liddle) had at her house then went out to lunch with another friend (Michellle Grant). The rest of the day I did all those little things that I couldn't do during the summer because I was trying to entertain and attend to the kids. I love school! 
Dallin (8th grade), Amber (senior), Daniel (4th grade)

No comments:

Post a Comment