Saturday, August 16, 2014

Summer 2014: Week 11


I can't believe we've reached our last full week of summer! The kids go back to school on Tuesday. Even though I hear them whining about that fact, I secretly think they're all ready to go. This week was just a week of randomness. I tried to do some last-minute fun stuff with the kids, but they were mostly content just hanging out at home. On Monday (11th) we spent the day doing laundry, mowing the lawn, and other chores. Tuesday (12th) I took the boys to see Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. They were quoting it the rest of the day. Based on their laughter, I think they liked it.

On Wednesday (12th), I took the boys and Amber (Laurin was at work) out shopping. The boys were looking for birthday gifts for Amber and Amber was looking for new school clothes. This was the first time I didn't really hear the boys complain about shopping. I guess it helped that they were playing hide-and-go-seek in the junior's clothing department at JC Penny's or the fact that they knew we were going out to lunch with Jeff at Winger's when we were through. Thursday (13th) Jeff enlisted the boys' help with building the rest of the "barn" or lean-to off the shop. We decided to extend it along the whole exterior wall. It's great that they are old enough to help and not be a hinderance. They worked hard all day. That evening Danny got to go swimming with his cousin, Kaia. Poor Dallin had football practice. Oh well...'tis the season.

Friday (15th) Laurin won the favorite sister award and took the boys to Seven Peaks. It's hard to believe in a week from now she will be moving up to Ogden to go to college. Laurin and I have definitely had our ups and downs (the downs were deeper than the ups were higher). I think this situation has been the hardest on her. I couldn't imagine having to accept a new woman in the home when I was almost 17 years old. There have been several struggles and changes that we both have had to make. It has been a humbling and difficult experience for the both of us (I think), but I am so proud of the woman she is becoming. Both Jeff and I have seen her growth over the last two years and couldn't be happier with the direction she is heading in. She is a beautiful, intelligent, kind-hearted, generous, young woman. We are extremely excited to take a sideline seat and watch what she does with the rest of her life. We are absolutely confident that she will succeed in whatever she decides to do. In any case, the kids all had a blast at the water park. This is probably the last time they'll go to Seven Peaks this year. I'm still in minor disbelief (but grateful) that the summer is over.

Dallin
Daniel

Saturday (16th) was a busy day. All the kids (except Laurin who started packing up her room) helped Jeff and I rearrange our food storage closet. It was a crowded, cramped mess. It took a couple hours, but I am so pleased with the results. For anyone who knows me, you know how organized and uncluttered I like to keep things. I am not extremely sentimental when it comes to material objects. If it's not serving a purpose...get rid of it! After we finished, we headed to Costco (which seems to be a Southwick tradition now). Yup, the kids and Jeff had samples for lunch. I just had to shake my head and smile as they quickly moved from sample station to sample station. Some of them would run ahead of the others then return and report their findings. We ran a few more errands after Costco - one of which included buying 5 flats of raspberries! You would think Laurin had died and gone to heaven. She was excited to make freezer jam...which we did! All 33 bottles!! We told her she could only take one bottle with her to college that way we know she'll come back to visit.
To end the week, Jeff and I had were lucky enough to have the opportunity to babysit Nolan. Krystle and Jordan got their redneck on by going to the demolition derby, which was fine with me! We had fun playing with Nolan. Nolan even played with Jeff, which doesn't happen often (he definitely likes females rather than males). Nolan went to bed about an hour after we got there. Jeff and I enjoyed a quiet evening "alone" after that. I treasure those quite evenings with just Jeff. They don't happen often. Anyways, stayed tuned for next week's back to school adventures! The school year 2014-2015 here we come!


No comments:

Post a Comment