Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Happy Mother's Day!

Mother's Day generally conjures up a myriad of emotions for women. There are women out there who have lost a child. Some haven't had the opportunity to have a child or battle infertility. For others, motherhood is defined by adoption, foster, or step-parenting. Some are what we would refer to "traditional" mothers; yet they (as well as many others) struggle with feelings of inadequacy, self-doubt, sorrow, etc. However, when these women (including myself) can see themselves through the eyes of a child they have loved, nurtured, and cared for, the cacophony of negative feelings melts away. Womanhood is defined by our ability to love and nurture...two qualities that require more than physical strength. To care for someone else more than yourself is the greatest form of strength and power that one can develop. It is never going to be easy, but it is worth it! I have struggled with all those negative feelings described above...and more!, but not today. Today I chose to celebrate my divine role. I am a mother! However imperfect and hopelessly flawed I am, I still choose to get up each morning and love the kids that have been entrusted to me by a loving Father in Heaven. The majority of those kids came with marriage, but I consider them mine nonetheless. I will always fight for them and with them. I will love even when the love feels unreciprocated. I will pray for them. I will encourage them. I will support them. I will celebrate them!...and I'll never stop. I was so grateful for the weekend of pampering I received. On Saturday (May 11), Jeff offered to watch the kids while I had a day to myself. I chuckled at the irony of getting away from my kids to celebrate motherhood, but I wasn't about to pass up a chance to go shopping uninterrupted and get a pedicure! That evening, he took me out to dinner and a movie. Sunday morning, Jonas woke me up to inform me that he got a shirt for me. Jeff said he asked him what he wanted to get me. Jonas was adamant that it had to be a shirt, so Jeff and Jonas created a shirt that says "One Tough Mother" on it! I laughed! How true that is! A mother has to balance toughness with tenderness. It's not an easy tightrope to walk! Jeff and Jonas prepared a yummy breakfast for me too! Once the other kids got up, we went to church where I was able to celebrate motherhood with so many amazing women that I am privileged to call friends. There is a motherhood tribe of wonderful women just trying to do the best they can. I am forever grateful for their love and support, especially in the earlier years of my marriage. After church, I enjoyed a relaxing day with family. Dallin gifted me a watercolor painting of our family that his friend, Jackie, helped him with. It is beautiful! Danny gave me a VIP date night with him to see the movie Aladdin! I'm looking forward to seeing it and to spending a little one-on-one time with Danny. Amber and Jacob gave me a pedicure set because they know how much I love a little pampering! Jeff collaborated with my dad and brothers-in-law to get me, my sisters, and mom a trip to NYC!! I have always wanted to go to NYC and I can't think of anyone better (because Jeff doesn't want to go) to go with! We got pretend tickets that we can turn in to our husbands for real cash to fund our trip! Aside from the gifts though, the best part of the day was the notes I received from each individual that assured me that I must be doing something right. I know I'm not perfect. I know I have huge "mom fail" moments, but I do love and I do try. I am blessed!


Some may think going out to lunch by yourself is intimidating. I find it refreshing!!






No comments:

Post a Comment