Thursday, February 14, 2013

Valentines Day

As sad as this may sound, I've never celebrated Valentines Day with anyone I've dated previously. It seems that all my previous relationships had an expiration date right before February 14th. Instead, I would celebrate Arizona's birthday and pretend it didn't bother me that everyone was walking hand-in-hand, looking longingly into their partner's eyes. BUT this year had made up for all the previous year's combined!! On Wednesday night (February 13th), I helped the boys make their Valentines boxes to take to school the next day. I enjoyed working on this project with them. I remember how my mom would help us do this each year. I'm a little sad that Dallin will be going to junior high next year and I won't get to help him do this, but I was grateful to have this one year to do it with him...and the many more years to help Danny.



 

 

On Valentines morning, I woke up with a treat. Unbeknownst to me, Jeff had made chocolate covered strawberries and sugar cookies with peanut butter frosting (thank to my sister Krystle who provided the frosting). Yesterday, I had gone to the DMV to relinquish my Arizona driver's license (such a sad day); while there, Jeff had gone out to his shop and made the goodie plate. He wanted to make sure there was no evidence in the house (since he knows I'm OCD and if anything were out of place I would question it). I had absolutely no clue. It was the best "breakfast" in bed. I loved reading his card and teared up when I saw the inscription on the envelope: "To my wonderful wife". I finally have a husband! Someone for whom I've prayed many years. I have a companion and best friend. I have someone who loves me as only he can. I have someone to share my tears with - both happy and sad. Jeff has been so patient, understanding, kind, compassionate, and genuine. I don't know how I got to be so lucky!
 
 
 


After we got the kids off to school, Jeff and I made our way to the Provo Temple. Because Valentines Day is a popular dinner-date-evening, Jeff and I decided to have our Valentines date at lunch so we could avoid the crowds and so we could enjoy the evening with the kids. We also decided that we wanted to start a tradition of going to do sealings in the temple on Valentines day. What better way to celebrate the day than to remember the promises we made on our wedding day and to help those individuals who have gone before to make those promises too? There was an incredible spirit in the sealing room as we did this work. The emotions I'd experienced on our wedding day flooded my heart and mind. At times, I still can't believe how lucky I am. After we finished in the temple, Jeff took me to eat at Mimi's Cafe (I love their muffins!) then we swung by Deseret Book. A few years ago, I had received a set of scriptures from my parents for Christmas. I had specifically requested that my name not be printed on them at that time. Even though I would verbalize that there was no hope that I would ever be married, I always longed to be able to put my married name on those scriptures. Well today I was able to do just that.
 
 
 
That evening, I made stuffed shells (because the sauce is RED) with a green salad and PINK lemonade for dinner, which we got to eat on the "fancy" plates (that Daniel likes to call them). I also made some chocolate-strawberry cakes for dessert. I have never been a whiz in the kitchen...and I've never had a reason to be, but now with Jeff and the kids I have found myself enjoying the kitchen more and looking forward to making fun holiday meals for everyone.
 

 
 
 
 
I seriously couldn't have asked for a better Valentines Day. From start to finish, it was a perfect day. I don't know how I got to be so lucky to feel so much love from Jeff and the kids. I have been especially impressed with how well the kids have opened their hearts to me and I couldn't have picked a more perfect husband. I love you all!
 

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE seeing your new name on your scriptures (now it's OFFICIAL)! And those muffins look VERY enticing, too. I'm glad you had such a superb Valentine's Day!! (couldn't happen to a NICER person) Love, Mom LeSueur

    ReplyDelete