Thursday, March 5, 2015

36!

Today is my birthday! I am 36 and officially on the downhill slope to 40!! I never imagined that I would be expecting my first child at age 36, but here I am. It has already been a great birthday week - starting with the ultrasound on Tuesday. Yesterday, I took a little time out for myself and got a pedicure (which was something I usually did with my sister, Nichole, on my birthday). Today I was endlessly spoiled! I woke up to a "fancy" breakfast (or at least the "fancy" dishes were used) and two very funny, very thoughtful birthday cards.
Jeff and I then raced to another doctor's appointment. Since we'd just met with the ultrasound tech on Tuesday, we had a follow up with my OB/GYN, Dr. McCarter. He confirmed that everything looked good. He measured my growing abdomen and said that I'm on target. We also got to hear the baby's heartbeat again. The only negative thing we discussed was my massive fibroid, which is currently positioned in such a way that it is partially blocking the birth canal. We are still hoping for a vaginal delivery, but Dr. McCarter also started to prepare me for the possibility of having a Cesarean. That makes me a little nervous (because of the recovery time and risks to future pregnancies...if we're lucky to have any more), but I'll do whatever it takes to make sure this little boy is born safely. After the doctor's visit, Jeff took me to the BYU Museum of Art. I really enjoy art. I don't always appreciate what is currently being exhibited, but I am fascinated with the talent of others. 
Here I am in the museum with my growing belly!
We wandered through the various exhibits until it was time for lunch. Jeff then took me to the Communal. Jeff knows how much I like traditions and routines so he decided to repeat what we did last year to begin my new birthday traditions. He even had 3 dozen roses there...a rose for each year of my life.
After our yummy lunch, we walked down to the Provo Bakery (just like last year) where he had purchased a lemon cake for our dessert that night. (I love lemon flavored desserts!)
That evening, Jeff prepared (with some minor modifications) my traditional birthday dinner. All growing up, I would request to have oven friend chicken, mashed potatoes, and green bean casserole for my birthday dinner. So Jeff made the mashed potatoes and gravy, opened a couple cans of green beans (without the casserole part), and went to KFC to buy fried chicken and biscuits! I love my husband!! I love how much he tries (and succeeds) to make things special for me. We were pressed for time, but he still made sure I had my delicious (although not really nutritious) dinner.
After dinner, I opened a few gifts from Jeff and the kids (some new DVDs, lotions, lip glosses, date night gift cards, and a maternity pillow) before blowing out the candles and devouring some of my cake. It has been a great day! I am looking forward to all the joys and adventures 36 has to offer!










No comments:

Post a Comment