Monday, March 2, 2015

Family Literacy Night

Tonight Taylor Elementary School hosted a Family Literacy Night. I have to admit that I wasn't too excited about going when Danny initially told me about it, but I'm glad we did. Amber even joined us! I didn't always love to read. It was definitely something that developed over time...and after a little maturity and wisdom set in. However, I can now say that my teachers were right - reading can truly unlock the doors of knowledge, wisdom and imagination. Sometimes I fear that we get so used to "dumbing down" (like we call it in our home) with TV or social media that we truly deny ourselves the privilege of what literature can offer. I don't profess to be some great English scholar or connoisseur of classic literature, but I do understand the importance of what a book can offer. In any case, the school provided a hot dog dinner then had several different 15 minute classes/activities you could attend. I hope tonight inspires Danny to a greater love for reading. With so many other competing activities, I sometimes feel like I'm fighting an uphill battle in that area. I'm sure I'm not alone on that battlefield. Luckily, Danny seemed to have fun and was even able to pick out a free book to take home! It was a nice evening.




No comments:

Post a Comment