Friday, March 20, 2015

A week in Arizona

On Friday, March 13th, I was able to travel to Arizona to spend a week with my parents, sister, and her family. Prior to leaving, the week was filled with last minute "to-do" items to make sure everything was in place here before I left. (I even made sure there were ample veggies in the house...hoping that would inspire their consumption during my time away!) There weren't any pictures to take or notable experiences to document prior to my departure. Life in the Southwick home is busy, but pretty routine. In any case, my Arizona vacation has been a tradition every year since I've been married. Usually, this vacation entails a trip to the ballpark with my parents for a Spring Training game (which has been a tradition with my dad for many years); however, this year was a little different. On Tuesday, March 3rd, my dad underwent a hip replacement. This is just the first of a few joint replacements he'll receive over the next year, but he is a trooper. My dad has taught me (by example) the value of optimism and being positive. Each time I would call to check in with him, he would be smiling and report all the milestones he achieved that day instead of lamenting all the things he was still unable to do.

Because of his surgery, we weren't able to make the game this year, but that didn't stop us from enjoying our time together. I arrived in AZ on Friday afternoon. My sister, Nichole, and nephew and niece, Tyler and Kate, picked me up from the airport. I briefly went to their house to help finalize a few last minute details for their yard sale the next morning before Nichole dropped me off at my parents where I hung out the rest of the evening. Saturday (March 14th) was a busy, but fun day! I started off the morning bright and early by helping Nichole with her yard sale. I have to admit, for a person who made a career of studying people, yard sales can be a lot of fun! It is interesting to watch as people peruse the items or haggle the prices.
After about 3 hours, Nichole and I loaded the remainder of the items in our cars and took them to Good Will before grabbing Kate and meeting up with my mom for lunch and a movie. We went to see the new Disney movie, Cinderella. I don't think I'll ever outgrow the fairytales. I realize they are flawed with improbabilities, but I love them. 
Nichole, Kate, Cinderella, and I!
That evening, Nichole contacted a few of my friends and threw an impromptu "baby shower" for me. We all met at one of my favorite restaurants, Pita Jungle, and enjoyed a delicious dinner and good company. I was so happy to see some of my friends that I haven't seen in awhile. It is hard to try to fit everyone and everything into one short week so this was perfect. I loved it! I also loved all the cute gifts I received. It still seems so surreal, but my burgeoning belly reminds me that it is real. It is finally my turn! I love feeling him kick and move. I used to think that was creepy, but it is the sweetest, most reassuring feeling I could ever have. I still have my moments of worry, but I choose to keep the faith and enjoy the moments...like this one. Thanks Nichole (and Mom) for making that happen!
Clockwise from the head of the table: Kalli, Whitni, Lydia, Natalie, Dana, Carrie, me
Two of my friends from junior high/high school, Andie and Rena, couldn't make it that night so we met up another night for ice cream!
The rest of the week was spent helping my parents with routine tasks, shopping with my mom for clothes that would actually fit,
I'm loving my cute little belly...although I'm not too fond of the other body parts that are growing!
going to the temple with my mom and Nichole,
The Mesa Arizona temple...where Jeff and I began our eternity.
hitting my favorite restaurants, 
visiting my aunt and grandma's grave,
and just hanging out with family.

I love Arizona in the Spring. It is my favorite time of the year. One of my favorite smells is the citrus blossoms. I could seriously get intoxicated from that smell. It never gets old. 
It was a great week! I needed the break and needed to spend some time with my family. I don't like living so far away from my parents and sisters, but that just means that these weekly vacations every March are even more fun and meaningful. I am so grateful for family. I may be a little biased, but I have the BEST parents, siblings, nieces and nephews! Even though I was sad to leave, I was happy to get back to Jeff and the kids. I did miss them. Again, in my biased opinion, I have the BEST husband and kids EVER! I know none of us are perfect. I know I have my moments of disagreements and disappointments, but I wouldn't change any of them. I pray that our relationships will continue to grow and become stronger as the years go by; after all, family is the legacy we inherit and the legacy leave behind in the end.










No comments:

Post a Comment