Saturday, September 12, 2015

Kate's baptism

This weekend, Jeff, the boys, and I flew down to Arizona to attend my niece's, Kate, baptism. This was the first time Jonas has done any sort of traveling and he did GREAT! I was a little nervous to take him on a plane because I wasn't sure how he would react, but he slept through both flights! He is definitely my son...he likes to travel (not like his daddy!).

We flew down on Thursday (10th) afternoon and stayed through Monday (14th). This was the first time my sisters had met Jonas. Now all of my family has finally met him...and fallen in love with him just like we have.  
Jonas and Kate
Jonas and Tyler
Jonas and Aunt Nichole
Jonas and Aunt Krystle
Jonas with Grandma meeting cousin Nolan. (Nolan wasn't sure what to think about Jonas.)
Jonas, Aunt Krys, and Uncle Jordan
Jeff, Jonas, and Papa
Because it is still over 100 degrees in AZ, we decided to either stay indoors or in the pool. I opted for the first option but the boys were little fishes all weekend! Dallin and Tyler did a great job playing with Nolan so that Krystle had a break.





Surprisingly enough it did cool off a little at night - at least into the 90s! One evening, we walked to the park at the end of the street to let the kids play. After it got dark, the boys decided they wanted to go scorpion hunting. I have already been stung by a scorpion and don't care to ever see one again! Still, they are pretty cool to see at night with a black light. They literally glow a neon green!
Me and my sisters enjoying a "cool" AZ summer night.
Nolan and Danny
Hunting for scorpions
Saturday was the big day! Kate's baptism was beautiful. Kate is such a spunky, fun-loving, tender hearted little girl. She has always had a desire to do what's right. I know she is still young, but her testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ burns bright. We are so proud of her decision to be baptized. Jeff and I both took part in the program. I led the music and Jeff spoke to Kate about the Gift of the Holy Ghost - the Spirit that Jesus promised to send to comfort, guide, and protect to all those who are willing to follow Him. I could feel that same Spirit during the baptism. I know the gospel of Jesus Christ is true. When I experience feelings of peace, love, joy, etc., I know that is His Spirit testifying to me of the veracity of His truth. I am grateful for my decision to be baptized so many years ago. I'm grateful for the knowledge of the gospel in my life. I'm grateful for the protection, peace and perspective it provides. I'm grateful for a beautiful little niece who helped remind me of all the blessings I have as a member of His church because of her decision to be baptized.
The cousins...Nolan was not too happy!
Us with Kate
The Lowes
I love my little niece!
Kate with Uncle Jeff and Uncle Jordan - who both spoke at her baptism.
Most of the Shumway clan
My mom wore the same white dress on her baptism day 50 years ago!
After the baptism, Nichole hosted a brunch then quickly un-decorated the baptism stuff and decorated for Tyler's birthday. Yup...Kate was baptized on Tyler's 15th birthday. I'm not sure if Tyler cared or not, but I was glad to be there for both events. Tyler is my first nephew. I never knew how much a person could love a child until Tyler came along. I love being an aunt! I get to spoil my nieces and nephews then hand them back to their parents. Tyler is such an amazing young man. He has always been sensitive and caring. He is such a good example for others and really strives to do the right thing. For his birthday, he took all the boys to Top Golf. It's basically a driving range with targets. I don't know how else to explain it. All the boys loved it. Jeff even came back saying that he would like to go again when we come back to AZ. For dinner, we headed to Joe's BBQ. This is a regular birthday stop for our family. Not only is it great food, but Joe's also gives you $10.00 off your meal if it's your birthday! Gotta love that. All in all the weekend was great! I just enjoyed spending time with my sisters and parents. I wish they lived closer...especially Krystle who is now in TX. I am so grateful for family. I'm grateful for my family. I couldn't have asked for better parents, siblings, nieces and nephews. I truly feel blessed!
Danny
Dallin
Jeff...I'm pretty sure all my boys just enjoyed smacking the balls as hard as they could.
The wild party bunch...Dallin, Jeff, Decker (friend), Jordan, Ryan, Tyler and Danny
Dinner at Joe's...Nolan, Kate, Ryan, Nichole, Danny, Jordan and Krystle
Tamara Lowe (Tyler's other Gma), Dallin, Decker, and Tyler
Jeff, Jonas in the carseat, Dad and Mom
Me with the birthday boy! He needs to stop growing! He is officially taller than I am.
A better cousin picture...Tyler, Nolan, Danny, Dallin, Jonas, and Kate
Me and my beautiful sisters....Krystle and Nichole









No comments:

Post a Comment