Sunday, May 8, 2016

Mother's Day

Today was a great day! Today I got to celebrate the most important role I carry in this life - mother. I will be the first to admit I am not always the model example of a patient, kind, tempered mother, but I am always an example of love. I do love ALL my kids! Over the past 9 months, I have discovered that love is love no matter what form it takes. I honestly thought that I would feel this incredibly distinct type of love for Jonas that I didn't with the other kids, but it's not like that. Yes, I love him differently, but I think the difference is generated more from the developmental stage than from the quality of love. I love Dallin differently than Daniel and Laurin differently from Amber. Most of that is due to our stages in life rather than a factor of biology. I can honestly say that I have a "mother's" heart for all the children I have the privilege to parent regardless of DNA. I derive joy from each of the kids but it is different for each kid. I enjoy watching Amber become independent and prepare for a mission. I am excited for Dallin as he begins to drive and date. I love participating in school activities with Danny. I am overjoyed for the beautiful woman Laurin is, especially while she is serving her mission. Different joys. Different love. Same "mother's" heart. 

Today started with a deliciously prepared breakfast. Pancakes are one of my comfort foods. After breakfast, I was presented with several cards and gifts. The boys got me the best t-shirt! I am a "boymom" for sure...and I'm definitely "outnumbered" here at home.


That afternoon, Dallin made another one of my favorite comfort foods - chocolate chip cookies! And he made a TON!! So much for trying to cut back on sugar. After the cookie making process, we headed to church. During sacrament meeting, Danny took Jonas on the stand when the primary aged children sang a song to all the mothers in the congregation. I admit I got a little misty eyed.


That evening the boys prepared another delicious meal (I was definitely spoiled!) for dinner. We had salmon (not the boys' choice), mashed potatoes, asparagus, and rolls.
The day ended with a fun Skype chat with Laurin. It was good to see her. It was fun to hear how well she's been doing and how much she loves Kansas. I am really looking forward to when she comes home (although I'm sure she'll have mixed feelings about that). Amber was unable to make it over today, but she sent a sweet text. I really am the luckiest mom EVER! Thank you to everyone for making it a great day!






No comments:

Post a Comment