Sunday, April 21, 2013

Jeff's new calling & Girls' choirside

On Thursday (April 18th), Jeff and I had a meeting with the stake presidency. Jeff was called to be the first counselor in our bishopric. The calling was a bit of a surprise, but knowing the amazing man I married, I should have known it was only a matter of time before a calling of this type was extended. As we walked out of the meeting that evening, Jeff felt relieved that he wasn't called to be the bishop, but I was feeling all the stresses he wasn't. We have only been married three months, which means I have only been "mom" for three months and now the Lord feels I'm ready to tackle that position on my own on Sundays...and Wednesday nights...and who knows when else?! After 33 years, I finally got a husband to sit by in church and now I just get to look at him? I already have to share my new husband with four kids...and now I was expected to share him with the Lord too? I realize that all these thoughts, feelings and questions sound really selfish, but that was how I was feeling in that moment. I even shed a few tears. As much as I have never regretted my decision to marry Jeff, it hasn't been the fairytale I'd dreamed of as a young woman. I have had to make mental accommodations to change how I viewed what it is to be a newly wed. I felt that, while I have received so much, I have sacrificed much too...and now I felt I was being asked to sacrifice even more. I felt overwhelmed, but as I prayed over the next few days I knew everything would be ok. Sunday he left my side to join Bishop York and Brother Buss (the second counselor) on the stand at church. I held back tears as I let his hand go, but I felt peace as he winked at me from the stand. The Lord will never ask more of us than what He will give to us. I feel blessed to married to a worthy priesthood holder who loves the Lord. I feel blessed to know that when I feel under-qualified for the events in my life, God can give me the qualities, peace, and strength to measure up to the task. I am so proud of Jeff. I am proud of the man he has become. I realize that may sound funny since we've known each other less than a year, but even in that time, I have seen a change. I am excited to support him and sustain him in this new position.
 
 

That evening, after another delicious dinner with Grandma and Grandpa Southwick, we all attended a choirside the girls sang in. The musical evening was a perfect way to end the day. I enjoyed listening to the blending of angelic voices as they sang praises to our Father in Heaven. I feel very lucky to have two incredibly talented daughters. Great job Laurin and Amber!

1 comment:

  1. I am so impressed that you're keeping up so well with your blog. I am so far behind and you've inspired me to catch up! I'm so happy all is well with your family...you're definitely keeping busy. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete