Friday, April 19, 2013

Three Months...and Tulips

Today marks our 3 month anniversary! In some ways, it seems like just yesterday I was in the temple, looking into the eyes of the man with whom I will spend eternity as he pledged to be my husband and companion forever. Other times, it seems like I've known Jeff (and the kids) for much, much longer. One thing is for sure, things just keep getting better. That's not to say that I still don't have moments where I wonder if I'm bonding well with the kids or if I can handle living the "country" life (especially when I'm feeling ill in the middle of the night and have to drive at least 10 minutes to get to the nearest store), but that's all a part of the adventure. On my wedding day, I couldn't imagine feeling any more love for Jeff and yet, 3 months later, that love only continues to grow. It grows because it is nurtured by respect, admiration, humility, forgiveness, communication, commitment, and so much more. I have truly found my best friend. I love that we both want to be with each other...in good moments and not-so-good moments. I love that when he's in the office I'm right there with him and when I'm in the kitchen he's there too. We are tackling life together. I can't even begin to describe the strength I glean from simply being near him. I used to naively think that I could do it all on my own; I now realize that we were never meant to be alone. I'm not just talking about tackling the household chores or shuffling the kids to their never-ending events. Jeff inspires me to be a better person. I know I am far from perfect. I also know that I am not very fond of any magnification of my imperfections, but when someone loves you unconditionally, those imperfections pale in comparison to the greatness that person inspires in you. I want to be a better person, a better wife, a better mother, and especially a better daughter of God. I love my husband beyond comprehension. I love the beautiful children I get to call "mine". It's been 3 months and I get to still look forward to an eternity with all of them.

For our three month anniversary, we decided to go to Thanksgiving Gardens and see the Tulip Festival. Tulips are one of my favorite flowers so I was looking forward to seeing the gardens. This was our first trip to the gardens and we're already planning a return trip during the summer months when the rest of the gardens are green. It was gorgeous! We truly enjoyed wandering through the various themed gardens and discovering the beauty within each. My favorite was the Secret Garden. The garden was surrounded by a dilapidated wall. It appeared to be forgotten as we ventured through a trellis of branches (the vines had yet to bloom), but hidden within the walls was a beautiful little garden with a fountain and flowers. I would have loved to grab a book and curl up on one of the stone benches to spend a hour reading. It was a place in which I could spend hours pondering and enjoying the solace it brought. As we moved on through other gardens, we also found one more which prompted even more pondering moments - The Light of the World Garden. This is still a work in progress, but a local sculptor has created 15 bronze statues of Christ at various moments in His life that will be placed in this garden. Most of the statues are still in model form, but they will all be made into life-sized replicas. I don't know if I could name my favorite. I loved the emotion that the artist was able to capture in each moment. I can't wait to go back when the garden is finished. All in all it was the perfect way to celebrate our 3 month anniversary. I was surrounded by God's creation and walking hand in hand with one of God's greatest gifts to me, Jeff. I love you sweetheart!










The Secret Garden











No comments:

Post a Comment