Friday, November 22, 2013

Date with Danny!

Since the beginning of school, Danny has struggled with his extra social energy in class. He is the most caring, inclusive kid I know! I love that about him...but it has led to a few problems in class with talking out of turn. Jeff and I have been working with him on knowing when it is appropriate to talk and when it isn't. I think the biggest thing we've done is to make him report back to us daily on his progress. There is something to be said for consistency in parenting and simply being present - making sure the kids know that you love them...even if you're disappointed with the choices they are making. Danny is a great kid! He has been one of my biggest life lines as I've made this huge adjustment in my life. I couldn't ask for someone more loving and forgiving as a son; yet, he has also been the most energetic out of all the kids and the most difficult to calm down if needed. He's an 8 year old Southwick boy! I should have known that was coming! In any case, I received an email from his teacher today reporting that Danny has made an incredible improvement in controlling his social energy in the classroom...so I dropped everything to run over to the school and take him out to lunch (we let Jeff join us too). I think one of the most difficult things to do as a parent is to find the balance between reprimanding and providing consequences for the not-so-great choices and praising and celebrating the good things. Sometimes I feel I lean more on the negative end of that scale than on the positive. Well today I wanted to make sure Danny knew how proud I am of his choices and what a great kid he is! He was surprised and pleased when I showed up at the school unannounced. I hope to have more one-on-one dates with the kids. I think it's important...for each one of us. I may not have given birth to these four kids, but I am incredibly blessed to have the honor of being their mom now. I couldn't have asked for better kids. We all have our imperfections, but these four kids are some of the most amazing people I know. Good job Danny! I love you!

No comments:

Post a Comment