Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My birthday!

Well...today is the actual day! I am officially 35 years old! I have to admit that 35 has been a little tougher than 30. I'm at the pinnacle of my 30s and am now staring downhill at 40 looming in the distance. Yet, I decided long ago, to embrace each year that comes...and hopefully all the wisdom and maturity (a.k.a. trials and tests) that have come with it. Well my special day started off with a special surprise. Usually, Jeff gets up with the kids and handles the morning routine (since I'm in charge of after school and dinner routines). Most mornings I don't even see the kids before they jet off to school (except Danny who doesn't leave for an hour after the other kids do). However, this morning I got a pleasant surprise when Jeff and the kids brought me breakfast in bed with a dozen red roses (from Jeff) and what I am calling a "sanity" basket from the kids. For my birthday, the kids gave me a sweet card that says, "Today is all about you! We have the other 364 days to celebrate us!". I laughed at how true that was...so the kids prepared a basket of some of my favorite sweet treats, movie theater gift cards, and a couple restaurant gift cards so that during those 364 days of them I can still seek sanity as needed.

 
 

There was no falling asleep after that morning surprise, so I got up to start the day. Once Danny left for school, Jeff and I spent the rest of the day together. He took me out shopping to buy my birthday gift - boots. Not just any kind of boots though - cowboy (or rather cowgirl) boots. I guess I need to finally give in and embrace the country life. Actually, my mom grew up on a cattle ranch in Mexico so I have some cowboy blood running through my veins. I really enjoy certain aspects of country living (as much as I say that I miss the city life). I like the space we have and the solitude and serenity that surrounds us. I enjoy learning how to work the land (even though I still have much to learn and probably would still sell this property if Jeff wasn't around to tend it). I am excited for all the small town festivals over the summer...and of course, hitting up at least one rodeo. Now I'll look official with my boots.
After finding my boots (which were on clearance!), Jeff took me to what has become my favorite restaurant in Provo - Communal. When we were seated, there was another dozen red roses waiting at our table. Can I just say that I have the BEST husband in the universe?! I was pleasantly surprised by his thoughtfulness and the planning and preparation that went into that. After we finished our meal, they brought out a delicious chocolate lava cake with homemade vanilla ice cream (and a birthday card they all signed)! Just another reason this has become my favorite restaurant.

We then headed back to the car to, what I had assumed was to, head home. However, Jeff simply placed the roses in the car and asked me to take a walk with him. I wasn't sure what he had up his sleeve next. I was a little worried when we approached a mortuary (I didn't think he'd make me pick out a coffin so soon), but was pleasantly surprised when we passed that and headed straight for the Provo Bakery. I didn't even know this bakery existed. Again, I had erroneously assumed we were going to pick out a little treat (even though we'd already had dessert) for my birthday, but when Jeff said that he had an order to pick up, I was again surprised by his thoughtfulness and forethought. There was another dozen roses (36 roses in all to welcome me to my 36th year of life) with a platter (which he bought and provided them) of a few lemon flavored (my favorite) pastries. Have I mentioned that I have the BEST husband in the universe?! I am so grateful for all he does. He knows the tears I've cried and the difficulties I've made with this new stage in my life, and he makes sure to celebrate me every day. Still, today was even more special. I feel truly blessed to have him in my life. I couldn't have asked for a more perfect eternal companion. He makes every tear and every frustrating moment worth it with the joy and love he gives me.
 
The day ended with a scrumptious (especially since I didn't have to make it) dinner (French dip sandwiches and veggie sticks). Jeff's parents and Katie joined us as well. The Relief Society presidency (of which I am a part) dropped a gift off and my siblings and parents all called. I couldn't have asked for a better way to usher in my next year of life. I feel blessed with an amazing family. I feel loved and appreciated beyond compare. Thank you to everyone who made my birthday so special!



 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment