Monday, May 26, 2014

Memorial Day

Memorial Day has always been a special day for me...at least once I realized its significance. For so many people, it is simply a day off to be with family and have a BBQ, but this day means so much more than that. I am the proud daughter and granddaughter of two amazing men who fought for the freedoms we enjoy. My dad and my grandfather have instilled in me a love of and loyalty to this amazing country we live in. I cannot see a flag flying without a sense of pride welling up inside of me. I can rarely make it through a national holiday without shedding a tear. I have traveled all over the world. I have seen, first hand, the results of communist ideals and the hazards of an impoverished nation. I wouldn't trade this country for any other country in the world. I realize we have our flaws, but there is so much to celebrate and to be proud of. I am grateful for a day dedicated to honoring those who have sacrificed their lives for this country.  I am grateful to be able to share my love of country with my family. I was thankful that we were able to start our day out with a flag ceremony that preceded a ward breakfast. I loved being able to spend some time with my ward family. I truly love the ward I am blessed to live in. There are so many amazing, talented, giving, selfless people in this ward. 
Dallin took part in the flag ceremony.


My uncle Rick was a cook.
After we finished breakfast, we took a short drive over to the Benjamin cemetery. Jeff and I wanted to make sure the kids also knew that this day isn't simply a day off school or a reason to have a yummy BBQ, so we decided to do a little service project. We visited the memorial wall and saw the crosses with flags to commemorate each fallen soldier from this area, then we set out to tidy up the headstones. It was only after our little service project that we took the time to have a little family fun. We went to see the new X-Men movie then, later that evening, we all got on our 4-wheelers and motorbikes and road the canal road to Jeff's parents' house for an ice cream sandwich. It was a great Memorial Day!






No comments:

Post a Comment