Sunday, June 21, 2015

Father's Day

I love that we have days set aside to celebrate the divine roles of a mother and father. I feel that too often our society demeans or discredits these divine roles. We may feel like less of a woman if we are "simply a homemaker". We feel inferior if we list our parental roles among those of our greatest accomplishments. Yet, these are the roles that shape the children of the future. Why wouldn't we take more time to perfect and revere these roles? I have been blessed with the two most perfect (even in all their imperfections) parents. My dad is one of my heroes. He has taught me how to love life, be positive, and laugh. He has always been there with a sympathetic hug and a listening ear. He showed me the type of man I wanted to marry and to be the father of my children...and I can honestly say (for better or worse), I married my dad! I love Jeff more than words could ever express. I was grateful to have a day set aside to honor and spoil him. I once asked him what he would want other people to know about him when he died. His response was not surprising. He wants to be known as a man who loved his family. Jeff shows that in all that he does. Family is his most valued treasure and most important accomplishment. He is an amazing father. He has devoted his life to loving, nurturing, and guiding his children. Like most parents, he is not perfect but he loves perfectly. I have admired that about him since the first weekend we met. In many ways (and for many years), he was both mother and father to these kids...and he has done a great job! I don't think any of the kids would argue the fact that they are who they are because of their amazing father. It was nice to be able to spend the day in his honor. Unfortunately, the girls weren't able to join us, but the boys and I made sure to spoil Jeff. We made steak and mashed potatoes for dinner (along with a salad, which was more my doing than Jeff's desire) then gave him a couple gifts. The boys got him some "muck" shoes that he can wear when he's taking care of the animals or out moving the water lines across the alfalfa. I got him a "pistol pocket" insert that he can install on the back of the safe door to store some of the smaller guns. After dinner and gifts, I called my dad then we went over to Jeff's parents' house to celebrate with Rodney. It was a nice day to celebrate some amazing men!




No comments:

Post a Comment