Sunday, June 7, 2015

Payson Utah Temple Dedication

Today is the day we have been anticipating for the past three years - the day our temple was dedicated as a House of the Lord. These temples become places of instruction and a refuge of peace for members of the church. They are not secret - they are sacred. It is in these sacred edifices that I have found peace amidst moments of trials. I have received guidance during moments of doubt and confusion. I found strength when I thought I had none. To have a temple so close to me is truly a blessing. I am so incredibly grateful for this beautiful building. I know I've mentioned this in a previous post, but this has become my temple. I grew up so close to the Mesa Arizona LDS temple. That was the first temple I entered and the temple I was married in; however, I have a wonderful new life here in Payson and now a new temple in which to make memories and seek peace, guidance, and strength. It will be my place of refuge and, each night, as I see the illuminated temple from our house, I can be reminded of the promises I've made to my Father in Heaven therein as I journey back home to Him. During the dedication, Jeff and I had the privilege of being in the temple itself. These dedication proceedings are broadcast to surrounding churches and that is generally where we would go to participate; however, because of the volunteer leadership roles we are playing in our local church congregation, we were given tickets to actually be inside the temple as it was dedicated. I wish words could describe the spirit of peace and reverence I experienced during the dedication. This is truly the Lord's house. This is where He desires all of us to be. He wants us to receive the instruction necessary to return to Him. Tears often came to my eyes as I held Jeff's hand and felt little Jonas move inside my womb. It was in a temple, like this one, where I was privileged to be sealed to both of these men for eternity. Families truly can be forever. It doesn't have to be "until death do you part". I enjoyed listening to the comments that were given prior to the dedicatory prayer. I was reminded that this temple stands as a "mountain" of strength, constancy, peace, and serenity just as the physical mountains do that surround it. I was reminded that Christ is truly the "cornerstone" of our religion and should be of our lives. I was taught to treasure the sacred. The dedicatory prayer was then given and the temple officially became a House of the Lord. Jeff and I reverently left that sacred building and met up with the kids who had watched the proceedings at a nearby church. It was a beautiful day!
Our tickets for the dedication services and white handkerchiefs with the temple, date of dedication, and our initials embroidered on them.
Jeff and I as we left the temple. Not the best picture but oh well. Jeff isn't angry - the sun was just too bright and was hurting his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment