Saturday, December 19, 2015

Alvon Arthur Thompson

On Tuesday, December 15, 2015, Jeff's maternal grandfather, Alvon Arthur Thompson, passed away after having suffered with dementia for the past few months. He had progressively gotten worse over the last month. It was difficult to watch him deteriorate, but I guess, in a way, it made his passing slightly easier. Having lost all my grandparents in 2011-2012, I have enjoyed living near Jeff's remaining living grandparents. Grandpa "T" was a hoot! He was always telling stories and making jokes. The first time I met him, he promptly informed me that if Jeff wasn't good to me that he'd take care of it. I always knew he was on my side. The kids also loved visiting with Great-Grandpa and Grandma T. There was always laughter in abundance when Grandpa T was telling his tall tales. I am so grateful that I was able to know this wonderful man. I am even more thankful for the knowledge that my relationship with him doesn't end with his passing.

Since the funeral was on Saturday, Jeff's brothers, Stan and Brad, came into town on Thursday night to spend time with family. It was fun having them around. I loved watching Jeff interact and laugh with his brothers. You definitely see a different side when you are surrounded by your siblings. Stan also brought Carson with him so my boys had fun playing with their cousin. Dallin went to school on Friday but Danny decided to skip school and play (obviously, it wasn't a very hard decision).


The boys had fun sledding in the back of Grandma Penny's house.


Jonas loved playing with Gma Penny
Saturday we all traveled to Roy, Utah (Ogden area) for the funeral. Gpa T was buried next to his only son who died when he was 15 in a hunting accident. The services were simple. There was a viewing and a graveside service followed by a luncheon. I thought it was a perfect tribute to such a wonderful man. I loved the poem Ashlee read and teared up when I saw Brandon, Brad and Troy salute Gpa T (who served in the Army). I am so grateful to have known and grown to love this fun loving man. Until we meet again Grandpa T.


















No comments:

Post a Comment