Thursday, December 24, 2015

Christmas Eve

I think I've finally discovered that I actually enjoy celebrating Christmas Eve more than Christmas. I love traditions. I love being with family. I love my Savior Jesus Christ. These are all things that I get to enjoy on Christmas Eve. Christmas day seems more focused on gifts we've received (or didn't receive) rather than the true meaning of the holiday we celebrate. I think that's why I like Christmas Eve more. I have never (to my recollection) been one that seeks after or desires material things. Sure, I enjoy the comforts I have and I like receiving gifts, but I honestly appreciate the thoughtful, inexpensive gifts (e.g., a letter of appreciation or love) more. In any case, today did not disappoint. We kept with our Christmas Eve movie tradition. For the last few years, we'll go see a movie on Christmas Eve. This year we saw the final movie of Hunger Games. Jonas got to enjoy spending some time with Grandma Penny while I was able to watch the first movie I've seen since before he was born. The movie was a little intense, but the kids seemed to enjoy it. After picking up Jonas, we headed home to get things ready for the evening's festivities. Jeff's parents, Katie and her boyfriend, Greg, and Trudy all joined us. We started our evening with our traditional placement of the luminarios lining our property. I am so glad that Jeff supports this tradition. I have always loved growing up in the southwest and seeing luminarios at Christmas time. I love the symbolism behind the tradition (to guide the Christ child to our door). It's obviously a little colder up here so you don't see many luminarios, but we love it...and all our neighbors do too!







Once we were finished, we came inside to warm up and enjoy our Bethlehem dinner. Obviously this is not authentic, but we try to only eat an array of foods that are found in the Bible. It's actually one of my favorite meals because it has a little bit of everything. 
Our dinner was followed by a Christmas Eve devotional. Each year, someone is assigned to present a short message about the true meaning of Christmas. This year it was my turn. I chose to print off pictures of various symbols or items we see during Christmas (e.g., gifts, wreaths, candy canes, Santa, tree, lights, etc.). I handed everyone a picture and each person took turns explaining how that item could represent Christ. Afterwards, Grandma Penny read the nativity story in Luke 2. I loved the spirit of peace we felt. Too often, the holiday season is so busy that we forget to take time to pause and enjoy the peace this season brings. It is nice to take a moment on the eve of Christ's birth to do just that.


Everyone left following the devotional. It was nice just having Jeff and the kids around. The kids opened their Christmas "jammies" (except Jonas who was already asleep at this point) then headed downstairs to sleep in their fort...even Amber! It was a great Christmas Eve!









No comments:

Post a Comment