Sunday, May 13, 2018

Dallin's 17th birthday!

I can't believe Dallin is 17! I can't believe that in a year from now he could have his mission call and be preparing to leave us for 2 years! Where does the time go?! It has been one of the greatest privileges of my life to watch him (and his siblings) grow up (it has also been one of my greatest challenges...but that goes without saying for any parent!). I know Dallin is a teenager and believe me he does typical teenage things, but he is also one of the most responsible, motivated, loyal, loving, fun, obedient kids I have ever known. Sometimes I get a little sad thinking about how quickly he is growing up, but growing up is good. Change is good. I think as parents we like to try to keep our kids close all while teaching them how to fly. It's the irony of parenthood. In any case, we started Dallin's birthday celebration with a family dinner the Sunday (May 6) before his birthday. We had dinner, he opened his cards (he's past the gift stage...he just wants money), then there was the traditional wrestling match that we like to call blowing out the candles.





Later that week was his actual birthday. On Friday (May 11), a group of his friends came over early (not early enough to catch him in bed though! He was actually in the shower when they got here.) to kidnap him for a special birthday waffle breakfast. Later that day, I pulled him out of school to go see the new Avengers: Infinity War movie. Jeff and Danny got to join us as well. We smuggled in some Arby's for lunch and enjoyed the nice reclining seats as we watched the movie.

That evening, his crazy friends planned a Danimals party for him. I guess he told them all he wanted for his birthday was some Danimals so that's what he got! Over 250 of them!!! It was crazy! I just have to shake my head some times. I'm glad that he has such a good group of friends...even if they may have questionable decision making skills at times.


Happiest of birthdays Dallin! I hope you felt loved, appreciated....and slightly sick from all those Danimals!

No comments:

Post a Comment