Monday, May 28, 2018

Memorial Day

Today marks the "unofficial" start of summer! I sincerely can't believe that it's summer again. I love this holiday. I love the significance of the celebrations. I know we sometimes get lost in the BBQs and parties, but it is truly a day to reflect on what our "freedom" has cost. I am grateful for the brave men and women (since the inception of this great nation) who have given their very lives so that I may be free to make the choices I do (e.g., religion, family, career, etc.). I couldn't be more proud to have a father and grandfather who served this country. I credit them with the deep love and devotion I have to this country. I can't recite the pledge or sing the anthem without getting choked up. I think that love grew even deeper when I traveled and witnessed the lives of people from other countries. We are truly blessed. Today we began our celebrations with a flag ceremony and devotional. (And yes...I choked up.) After the brief devotional, we enjoyed a breakfast with all our friends and neighbors.





The rest of the day was spent at home doing chores. Nothing truly patriotic or spectacular, but Jonas and I did find some time to stop and make a flag out of popsicle sticks. I hope that I can instill a love and devotion to this country as my father and grandfather instilled in me.



That evening, we invited Grumpy, Gma Penny, Katie and Greg over for dinner. I can't imagine a better way to celebrate the lives that were lost than to gather with family. Faith, Family and Country...all the things we can enjoy because of the sacrifices that were made for our freedom.

No comments:

Post a Comment