Sunday, December 22, 2019

12 Acts of Kindness: Acts 11

If you notice in the blog title, there were multiple acts of kindness to check off our 11th act. While we have enjoyed doing our little acts of kindness, it has been challenging to find times to do these acts with all of us together. This "act" needed to be done on an individual basis leading up to our final act scheduled for tomorrow (the drive thru...everyone's absolute favorite!). This week, I had the opportunity to go to the temple as my 11th act of kindness. Recently, I have been learning a lot about my ancestors. I have enjoyed visiting places they lived (and died) and feeling a sense of connection with them. As I have done so, I have also felt a desire to know them...not just read about them. I want to get to the other side and recognize and truly come to know each and every one of them. I would feel heartbroken if I couldn't be with all my family forever. I guess that's why I feel temple work is so important. We are linking family chains that allow all families to live together forever.


For Jonas's 11th act, he was presented with an opportunity to help an anonymous student at his preschool. On his final day of school, I was handed a little paper explaining the need of this student's family. We were invited to donate gifts or money to help this family out for Christmas. As I explained what this paper said to Jonas, I simply asked if he wanted to help. He thought for a minute and said that he would be willing to donate a dollar. I was pleased with this response because in previous attempts to encourage him to give of his abundance, he hasn't been so willing. I fully expected him to return to the kitchen after retrieving his donation with only one dollar, but when he returned, he had three dollar bills. He commented that he didn't want this child to be sad so he wanted to give more than just a dollar. I started to cry a little as he laid out his three dollar bills. It wasn't much, but to him, it was. Maybe he really is learning the power of generosity and kindness.

Danny's 11th act involved giving of his talents rather than his money. On Sunday (12/22), Danny performed his cello solo, O Come O Come Emmanuel, for two incredible women. One woman, Patsy Cottam, is an elderly lady that lives in our area. She is one of the most positive, independent, determined women we know! She is also so kind and loving...and she loved Danny's performance. The next recipient of Danny's act of kindness was Grandma Thompson. We all love Gma T. She is a spunky, no-nonsense lady. She loves family and has enjoyed several visits from her children, grandchildren, great-grandchildren, and one great-great-grandchild this season. We were lucky enough to be on that list. Danny performed his cello solo and Jonas even played Jingle Bells on his bells.

So what has Jeff done? Sometimes those acts of kindness simply remain anonymous, but here are some pictures of us on the Sunday before Christmas. Jingle, our scout elf, brought the boys some new ties that matched some earrings Krystle gave me.




No comments:

Post a Comment