Saturday, December 14, 2019

Festive Fun!

This season is always full of fun, festive parties and events! Some may say that we overschedule and overextend ourselves, but I love it! I love baking (like I used to with my mom when I was young), ward parties, traditional Christmas dates with Jeff, and just random holiday fun. I decided to compile these activities into one post. First off, Jeff and I went to Hale Center Theater for our annual holiday date to see Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol on Friday, December 6. I love this production. Every year, I find myself fighting back tears at strategic moments in the play when my heart is reminded about the true meaning behind these holiday traditions - our Savior, Jesus Christ. I realize A Christmas Carol doesn't address Christ directly, but everything Scrooge is taught brings to mind the example our Savior set for us to be kind and generous with others. Christ's life exemplified selflessness and charity - qualities Scrooge had neglected in his life. All our lives are interconnected! If we choose to remain focused on ourselves, we will miss some of the greatest joys that can come from helping our brothers and sisters on their life journeys.


Next up was the First Presidency's (of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints) Christmas devotional. Last year, we started a little tradition of baking and decorating sugar cookies prior to watching the devotional. The boys loved it so much that we decided to repeat that this year. (You'd be surprised that Danny even loves to cut out and decorate the cookies! He has always had more of an interest in cooking/baking than Dallin has.) Jonas helped me make the cookie dough earlier in the day then Danny helped us roll and cut out the shapes. Everyone then chose a few cookies to decorate and devour prior to watching the devotional. I loved listening to the magical sounds of the Tabernacle Choir's Christmas carols and the beautiful messages about our Savior from church leaders.








This past weekend, Nichole and her family flew up here to attend a wedding. Jonas and I picked them up from the airport on Friday (Dec. 12) then headed to SLC for some festive fun. First, we went to Picture This Utah's pop-up museum at Trolley Square. This was an interactive holiday exhibit with plenty of places to take fun photos and fun things to do. Yes, Jonas is in pajamas. Prior to picking up the Lowe's, he had a Polar Express pajama party at preschool. I just thought the pajamas were a nice touch to the photos! (Following the photo frenzy, the Lowes wanted to browse the stores so Jonas and I played in the little play area while we waited for them.)
























Afterward, we headed to the Grand America to admire their whimsical window displays (which were so much better this year! They were based on the poem, The Night Before Christmas...one of my favorites!) and the gigantic gingerbread house. Have I mentioned how much I love all the sights, sounds, tastes, smells, etc of the holidays?!





On Saturday (Dec. 13), we had our ward Christmas party. This year I was in charge of executing the party. I would be lying if I said I wasn't stressed, but I was so grateful for the talented, willing people in our ward who helped me pull off a great party! Shannon did the decorations. Angie Lacey helped set up Santa's room and her husband, Byron, handled the food. It was a team effort that totally paid off! The morning started with a visit from Santa. Once the kids saw Santa, they got to color some cute little stockings before we had breakfast. While we were eating, we watched the movie the Church produced on the story of Christ's birth. It was a beautiful way to enjoy both aspects of the holiday seasons - spiritual and commercial. I loved spending the morning with all the people I have grown to admire and am lucky enough to call friends.











That sums up our festive fun up until this point. Stay tuned for more! (Oh...and here are a couple picutres of Jonas and I at a Christmas tree lot. The poor kid has only known an artificial tree. He was curious about these little "forests" that have been popping up around town. I explained to him that some people get real trees for Christmas then we just had to go smell the trees and wander through the "forest".)



No comments:

Post a Comment