Saturday, December 2, 2017

A Christmas Date!

Today Jeff and I went on our weekly date, only this time it was a Christmas treat! As much as I love the holiday season, oftentimes I forget to experience it as I am executing it. I am so concerned about creating the magic and meaning of the season that I neglect to take part in that magic and meaning. Today was an exception. Today I got to experience not only the magic but the true meaning of the season. Jeff and I started our date at Gardner's Village. I came here during October to see the "witches" and knew I wanted to return during December to see the "elves". It was fun to go on a scavenger hunt to find all the elves. As we did so, we wandered in and out of the cute boutique stores. We found fun, random, hilarious gifts for the kids. Jeff really enjoyed being able to help pick out some of the Christmas gifts. I usually discuss with him what we're going to get the kids, but then I get the gifts without him. This time Jeff got to have a say...which meant non-sensical items that will simply make the kids smile. After we wandered around for a bit, we had a delicious lunch at Archibald's restaurant.















Our date didn't end there. Back in August, I purchased tickets for us to attend Charles Dickens' A Christmas Carol at the new Hale Center Theater in Sandy. This has become our little tradition, and I didn't want to take the chance that it would be sold out. We love to watch this poignant story at the start of each Christmas seasons because it teaches us about love, compassion, service, and giving. In this performance, there was one scene that was particularly poignant. I've seen a lot of renditions of A Christmas Carol but this one stood out. In it, there was a poor couple with an infant. The mother and father started to sing Silent Night. With no dialogue, the father left the mother with his scarf and went out to find food and warmth for the tiny baby. As he entered the town (all while the cast was singing Silent Night), he encountered so many other people who were in a similar financial situation. He was quick to see their needs and assist as he could without any hope of recompense; yet, as he did so these people also turned to serve him. They gave him a basket of produce, bread, a blanket, etc. The man tried to return the goods knowing that these families needed them just as much as he did, but the givers insisted that he take the goods. Eventually, he returned to his wife and child, who were overjoyed at their bounty. As I reflected on this (through my abundance of tears), I realized that there is never any act of kindness that truly does not return to our Savior. All the goods and services that were given were taken back to that tiny infant child...our Savior. I am profoundly grateful for moments like this that truly remind me what or who this holiday season is really about. It was the perfect Christmas date!




No comments:

Post a Comment