Sunday, December 2, 2018

First Presidency's Christmas Devotional

On the first Sunday of December, the First Presidency of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints holds a special holiday devotional. I love watching this devotional! It is the perfect way to start the month wherein we celebrate Christ's birthday. This year was a snowy first Sunday. We woke up to nearly 4 inches of snow with more throughout the day! It just set the magical holiday mood for the day (although the boys may have disagreed when they went out to shovel the walks! At least Jonas was happy to do so.)



That evening, I made sugar cookies to decorate while we watched the devotional. Danny was my baking buddy. He rolled and cut out the majority of the cookies! Jonas liked the decorating part but wasn't too keen on eating them. I guess sugar cookies are not his favorite. Amber and Jeff were sick and Dallin took a little nap during the cookie preparation process, but we were all edified by the messages and songs of the devotional. I love this holiday season! I love all the fun secular aspects of Christmas (e.g., Santa, Elf on the Shelf, cookie exchanges, etc.), but I treasure the real reason for the season. I am grateful for the birth of my Savior. I am forever changed by His mercy and love. I am eternally humbled by His grace and atonement. I am thankful that we get to end each calendar year by reflecting on His birth, life, and ministry. I hope I can instill this same love and gratitude in my children. I hope, while we enjoy the secular and commercial aspects of Christmas, that we can remember what we are truly celebrating - our Savior, Jesus Christ.









No comments:

Post a Comment