Monday, April 13, 2015

Camp Floyd

I thought this week would slow down since we were back from our little trips, but that wasn't the case. On Monday, I joined Danny's class for a field trip to Camp Floyd in Fairfield, Utah. This is the site where US troops were sent by President Buchanan to reportedly fight a "Mormon uprising" when the early pioneers settled the area. It was also an important stop along the Pony Express trail. There aren't many of the original buildings left, but it was still interesting to hear the history of the area. There have been some excavated sights and relics found. We visited the old school present in that area as well as an old Inn. The kids then learned how to load and fire a (fake) musket, construct adobe bricks, make candles, etc. Danny seemed to really enjoy himself. It was a fun day. I'm grateful that I am able to go with Danny on these field trips and to help with class parties. Soon enough he'll be too old to want his parents around. I have to treasure these moments while I still have them!




I love this picture because this is how Danny was throughout the whole field trip! He always had the answers and had to be the first one in line for all the activities. 




Danny finishing the Pony Express race.

Danny instructing the other boys how to make the bricks.

No comments:

Post a Comment