Monday, April 6, 2015

Moab: Day 4 Laurin's birthday

Today was our last full day in Moab...and it was also Laurin's 19th birthday! I know I have only known Laurin for a couple of years, but those years have flown by! I can't believe she's in college, that she's turning 19, and that by the end of this year she could be serving a mission! For her birthday, we (and by "we" I mean everyone else) decided to go back to Chicken Corners so that those who weren't with us on Saturday could do an easy trail ride. I again opted to forego this ride and instead visited all of downtown Moab's cute touristy shops (I had to find an ornament for our Christmas memory tree). Again, I think the trail rides were the highlight of the kids' trip. I don't think Katie was too fond of it though. Poor Katie took a sharp turn to avoid an oncoming car and got thrown from the ATV. Luckily, nothing was broken but she was pretty scraped up, bruised up, and sore.



When they finished their ride, Jeff called and we all met up at Zax Restaurant in Moab to have a birthday lunch for Laurin.

Katie, Penny, and Amber (who had to get back home to go to BYU the next morning to work on her solo for the cultural celebration) left for Payson after lunch. Katie was not physically doing well and just wanted to get home. I don't blame her! The rest of us enjoyed our last evening in Moab. Laurin, Jeff, Grandpa Rodney, and the boys decided to find some trails to ride near our campsite. They actually stumbled upon a "moderate" trail (Seven Mile Loop) that they enjoyed. It was a little more technical in certain spots but luckily everyone came back safe.
While they were gone, I enjoyed a good book and good weather...plus a well needed nap (even with a comfortable trailer and mattress, camping and sleeping don't always mix). The rest of the night we played games, sat around the campfire, and simply enjoyed being together. For Laurin's birthday dessert, we picked up some ice cream in Moab and had ice cream cones (none of the kids are super fond of cake). 
In some ways, I'm glad the trip has come to a close...but I will miss the beautiful red rocks, peaceful, technology-free family time, and the memories we created. All in all, I would say it has been another successful family fun vacation!


No comments:

Post a Comment