Friday, April 10, 2015

Uncle Mikey's BYU-I graduation

 Just when you thought our Spring Break travel was over...we are on the road again. We returned from Moab on Tuesday and spent the rest of the day cleaning out the trailer, re-organizing things in the house, doing laundry (well at least I spent the day doing that), etc. Wednesday wasn't much different. We got up and cleaned the house then packed for the next trip! Wednesday evening my parents, Nichole, Tyler and Kate made it to our house from Arizona. They arrived around dinner time. They were pretty tired from getting up early to make the drive so we simply enjoyed a relaxing evening of fun conversation. (I think they also enjoyed not being in a car! Especially Dad who was a trooper to make that long trip after only 5 weeks post surgery!) Thursday we leisurely got up and loaded the cars back up to head to Idaho for the weekend. Kate, of course, needed to make sure she got to visit the animals on the "farm" before we left. She put on her most cowgirl like outfit (including boots) and coaxed me outside with her where she got to hold the little chickens and pet the cow. As much as Nichole may not like it, I don't think Kate is going to be her "city" girl.



Finally we got on the road. We took our time making it to Mike and Jenn's house in Blackfoot. We stopped at a park in Kaysville to have lunch and let everyone stretch their legs. The kids had fun on the playground and just hanging out as cousins. We reached Michael's house around mid-afternoon and spent the rest of the evening relaxing there. The boys walked up to Walgreens and bought a frisbee to play with. Michael also set up his hammock, which they all insisted on getting in to.
We had dinner and a pre-graduation celebration with Mike and Jenn. Jenn made these really cute (and delicious!) graduation cupcakes that the kids (and I will admit me too) devoured. 
After filling our bellies, we split up and went into Idaho Falls where we stayed with Stan and Kristi. The next day (Friday) was the BIG day! Michael is the fourth college graduate in our family! I am super proud of him. It has been a long road due to school transfers and life, but he stuck with it and succeeded. I always encourage my kids to get a college education. Jeff completed his Associates degree and I have my Masters degree. I just think, especially now, it is vitally important to have more than just a high school diploma. I'm glad Mikey set just another example for the kids to follow. We all met up (including Scott, Mel and Kaia who'd drive up later the night before) in the morning then split up again. The boys went to the army surplus warehouse and the girls went shopping at various boutiques. We gathered again for lunch at a little pizza place with arcades and other fun things for the kids to do to kill the time. Jeff and Mel even got involved in the action. Mel challenged Jeff to a "race"-off on one of her favorite arcade games. It was close but Jeff actually eeked out the win. It had the whole family taking sides and rooting for their favorite driver.




Unbeknownst to us at the time, today was actually National Siblings Day. I have been blessed with 4 amazing siblings! I know I didn't always feel that way growing up, but these guys are truly my best friends and biggest supporters (other than Jeff and my parents). They have known me in good and bad times...and surprisingly still love me! We missed having Krystle with us, but here are the rest of us.
Once the arcade tokens dried up, it was time to change clothes, take some pics and head to the graduation.
Mikey with the nieces and nephews: Kaia, Dallin, Mikey, Kate, Tyler and Danny
Mike and Jenn...happy couple! No more school!

My proud parents with their graduate.
Everyone (almost): Jeff, Dallin, Me, Danny, Scott, Mel, Kaia, Michale, Kate, Jenn, Dad, Mom, Tyler, Nichole
Mikey striking his model pose in front of the "Congrats Grad" chalkboard at the Hickoy where we had dinner.
The graduation was held in the student services building at BYU-I. Luckily for us, there were ping pong and pool tables to keep the kids busy before the graduation...and their phones kept them busy during the graduation! Sheesh!

The graduation was surprisingly short, sweet and to the point. I love those kinds!...it let us get to the celebratory Reed's Dairy ice cream sooner! I am glad we were able to come to support Michael in this monumental accomplishment (because that's how getting through college feels sometimes...monumental). I am grateful to have always been blessed with such a supportive, interested, and actively involved family. I hope to instill that value into my own kids. I hope they will always want to be there to support their siblings (and their aging parents...when that time comes!). Congrats Mikey!! We're super proud of you!













No comments:

Post a Comment