Monday, September 9, 2013

Just another week...

This week has been an unusually calm week - that's not to say that Dallin still didn't have football practice every night or that Amber wasn't already starting her new musical play practices or that I didn't have Relief Society meetings/visits or that Jeff didn't have bishopric responsibilities; it simply means that there wasn't anything else thrown into the mix to deviate us from our normal schedule or routine. In fact, there were a couple days this week when I was actually able to go run business errands with Jeff (I love when I get to spend time with him...even if it's running errands) and go shopping with both my sister, Krystle, and sister-in-law, Mel (although I didn't really buy anything...I'm too indecisive and too frugal to spend money!) Because of the normality of the week, there weren't really any picture taking opportunities; however, I still found a couple random moments to capture.

On Monday (Sept. 9), I went searching for Jeff so that we could start Family Home Evening with the kids (a weekly evening that we get to sit down with the kids to make sure our schedules are updated, share a brief lesson, and have some goodies). I looked all over the house then finally looked outside to see him in our pasture with the cow and goat. He was walking Daisy (the cow) in an effort to try to get closer to the goat. Silly boy! Still, he was having a blast, which prompted Danny to join him as well. I love how much Jeff loves our little piece of land and how willing he is to work and to learn as we embark on our "farm" life adventures.
Wednesday night (Sept. 11) the girls had mutual while I took the boys to Dallin's football game. This whole month the Young Women have been focusing on becoming daughter's of God. All their activities have revolved around this theme. Tonight they had a little fashion show and got their hair and make-up done. Here's a quick pic of all the YW. Laurin and Amber are in the front row. We have such gorgeous daughters! I love their modesty. I love that they take pride in being virtuous. I wish all young women (and older women) would do so. I think our world would be a much different place if so!
Harvest season has been in full swing. I would love to take a picture of our garden...but I'm too embarrassed. Let's just say that it has been woefully neglected. I did not do a great job (or any job) of tending it. Still, several tomatoes survived and I've enjoyed making lots of fresh salsa. I'm not sure if it's out of pity or overabundance, but our neighbors have graciously shared their harvest. The Millers (who live directly behind us) came over one evening with a bowl full of fresh peaches! I was ecstatic! Growing up in Arizona, we would get boxes of Utah peaches and I would devour them! Now I can just get some from the neighbors. I immediately took a peach and paired it with some vanilla ice cream. The ultimate peaches and cream! Next year I promise to do better with the garden. I think I'm going to do it on a much smaller scale and there will be mandatory family weeding days.
Well, as you saw from my previous post, there has been a TON of rain lately (Jeff tells me this isn't normal). It has dropped temperatures and the fall colors are more visible on the mountains. One morning, I woke up to see the clouds hovering on the mountains and felt the crisp morning breeze. 
Fall is definitely in the air and I love it! I finally get to experience all the seasons...although I'm not looking forward to the next season. This is my absolute favorite time of the year! I love all the holidays, all the food (not surprising), and all the excuses to spend time with friends and family. In any case, Jeff has been working hard (in between rain storms) to finish the deck so that we can enjoy some family moments on the deck this fall. We still have a little ways to go and, while frustrating at times, I think Jeff has enjoyed it. I don't think he'd ever be happy or content unless he had some project he was working on.

Now this last picture isn't going to mean much to most of you, but if any of you have watched Gilmore Girls you will understand...candy sushi! Gilmore Girls is my absolute all-time favorite TV show. I own all the seasons. I'm not sure if it's their witty banter or the small town charm, but I've loved every episode. Over the summer, Laurin took season one and started watching it. It has been fun stealing random moments downstairs with Laurin as we've laughed at the silly moments and quoted their hilarious lines. Yesterday (Sept. 14) she decided to make candy sushi (which was in one episode). I love that I get to share silly little things like this with Laurin. I haven't had all the growing up years to form a relationship with her so any chance I get, I enjoy.
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment