Tuesday, September 17, 2013

OUCH!!!

As you know, we've had many home improvement projects going on this summer. The deck has been the latest of those projects. I am so excited to see the ongoing progress. I'm more excited to think about all the fun parties and casual family moments that will be spent on the deck. This week Jeff focused on finishing the roof. For the most part, the work progressed without any incident...until Grandpa Rodney decided to spear his finger with a nail. I was inside taking care of laundry and other household chores when I happened to glance in the kitchen. There was Jeff fumbling through the medicine cabinet as Grandpa was insisting that there was no need for medication and to simply cut it out! I was appalled to discover the reason behind the discussion and even more mortified to see the nail speared through Grandpa's skin and fingernail. Grandpa Rodney is seriously one of my heroes! He was so calm about the whole situation. I couldn't believe how serene his demeanor was. He took a couple ibuprofen as Jeff prepared a sterile knife then proceeded to cut through the skin and fingernail to release the nail. I insisted on soaking the wound in hydrogen peroxide and wrapping the bandage with Neosporin applied. Once the nail was out, Grandpa was back on the roof to finish the job. Amazing! I would have been passed out on the floor and needing to be revived if that were me! I don't handle injuries too well...especially my own. Still, by the end of the week, we had a roof on our deck with all the shingles in place. The deck is coming along quickly! We still have to finish the railing and the stoops, but hopefully we can get that done in the next 3-4 weeks.


 
OUCH!!! 
Dr. Jeff Southwick performing emergency surgery. 
No...he is not flipping off the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment