Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Spring Break: Grand Canyon

Today we woke up early, prepared our hiking daypacks, and set out for the Grand Canyon! I was about Dallin's age the last time I visited the Grand Canyon. I remembered some areas and views, but I don't think I accurately remembered the beauty and majesty of this incredible creation. It amazes me (again) how powerful water can be! I reflected on the thousands of years the river has slowly carved through the rock. I pondered on the patience of the Creator as He set this is motion knowing this would be the end result. It isn't just a big hole in the ground; it's nature's representation of patience and perseverance. It was simply breathtaking! Jeff and the kids seemed to enjoy it too. We came in to the south rim and stopped at several lookouts on our way to Grand Canyon Village where we parked the car and hiked along the rim for a couple miles. We all got a little toasted by the sun, but we had a blast. The kids sure played with my anxieties though. There were a few times when they hiked out onto precarious rock formations or just close enough to the edge to get my heart racing. Luckily, they were sure footed enough that no one got hurt! Whew!







If you look closely, the kids are actually out on that rock! Yikes!! 




After our hike, we grabbed some ice cream before heading into Flagstaff where we stayed the night. We got to Flagstaff around dinner time. We ate then waited for the sun to go down before heading to Mars Hill where the Lowell Observatory is located. Again, I've lived in AZ all my life and have never been here. It was really cool! We were able to closely look at the moon and to see the 4 moons and rings around Jupiter. We even got to witness a new star forming. I wasn't sure if the kids were going to like it, but they all seemed enthralled with the cosmos. It was a great way to end a day in awe of the Lord's creations!





No comments:

Post a Comment