Saturday, April 12, 2014

Spring Break: Last day

Today was our last full day in AZ. We originally planned to drive home today so that Jeff and I could be back for our Sunday responsibilities, but when I found out one of my old laurels (when I was president of the Young Women organization in Chandler) was getting married that day, I just had to stay. I was honored to be invited to her sealing ceremony. She was married in the Mesa Temple. In fact, she was sealed in the same room Jeff and I were sealed in. I loved being able to be back in that room and to reflect on my own wedding day. That day was the BEST day of my life. Jeff has been the BEST thing that has ever happened to me. More than the events of that day, I simply remember feeling peace and indescribable joy. There are times when I have to lean on those feelings as Jeff and I struggle to blend our family. After the ceremony, I hugged Whitni and, with tears in her eyes, she told me that I was a big part of helping her get to this point in her life. I don't think she'll ever know how much that meant to me. Sometimes I wonder if I am having any positive effect on the two teenage girls I'm living with. Often times, I wonder if they are simply enduring me or just being polite. I know it has been an adjustment for everyone, but I think the girls have struggled the most. I'm sure it's hard to see me and not think about the mother that could no longer play that role in their lives - at least not in the way they want it. I'm sure they still experience levels of grief and loss, and perhaps a little anger. I have often wondered if I will ever have the privilege of having a relationship with them. I know it will never be a typical, biological mother-daughter relationship, but I would love to have a enduring friendship with them. I would love to create our own bond. However, I have had to learn to be ok if that never happens. In any case, Whitni's words brought tears to my eyes as I realized that I have been a positive influence in at least one young girl's life.


While I was at the sealing ceremony, the kids and Jeff decided to pick some of the remaining oranges on my parents' trees and make some fresh squeezed OJ. There is nothing better! This is seriously the elixir of life...ok, maybe not but I'm pretty sure there will be fresh squeezed OJ in heaven.
Laurin's legs visible from the orange tree. 
Happy boys!
After I returned, we went back out to Nichole's house to spend the afternoon/evening. It was a fairly non-eventful day. The girls finished homework (poor girls!) while the boys went to the pool.
That evening, Jeff and I joined Nichole and Ryan on a double dinner date before going to Whitni's reception. It was a fun evening! I enjoyed spending time with my sister and bro-in-law as well as seeing old friends at the reception. Jeff and I did drop the girls off at the movie theater while we were at the reception so that they could watch Divergent. They had to do at least one fun thing on their final day! Jeff and I picked them up on our way back to Nichole's house to get the boys. This is how we found the boys. I guess it's been a long, fun week!






No comments:

Post a Comment