Monday, April 7, 2014

Spring Break: Page, AZ

Today started our Spring Break adventure! This year I realized that our Spring Break occurred during the first week that the Mesa Temple presented their annual Easter Pageant. I grew up going to this pageant every year. I have fond memories of watching the pageant with my grandmother (who passed away three years ago) then going over to her house for treats afterwards while we waited for the traffic to die down. I know I'm partial, but I think this is the best pageant. It recounts the life of Christ from birth through resurrection. My eyes fill with tears each time I watch the scene with Christ and the children or the scene after His resurrection. In any case, once I discovered that the two events coincided, Jeff and I decided we'd take the kids to Arizona for Spring Break. The kids have been there a few times, but this time we decided to make a few stops along the way. First stop was Page, AZ. I have made this drive numerous times but have never stopped to actually visit Glen Canyon Dam. This time we did. We wandered around the visitor's center before we took a guided tour of the dam. It is incredible to think that the energy created from this dam actually services where I live now and the small town of Craig, CO where Jeff grew up. It is amazing to think that all that energy is harvested from the water. We marveled at the huge turbines and the incredible architectural feat to create the dam.






That is the size of the turbines! 




Do you like how the kids are photobombing our picture?
After we left the dam, we checked into our hotel then drove down the road to hike to this little gem - Horseshoe Bend. This is a part of what becomes the Grand Canyon where the Colorado River wraps around the incredible section of rock. It is breathtaking! I will even venture to say that it's even more beautiful than the Grand Canyon. I know many people may disagree with that but I loved watching the river wind around the rocks, which is something that is more difficult to see from the rim of the Grand Canyon...but here are a few pics so I'll let you decide.



Amber doing her best Ariel pose. 

We finished our day by swimming at the hotel. I think it was a successful first day. Next stop = Grand Canyon!


No comments:

Post a Comment