Friday, October 3, 2014

Adam-Ondi-Ahman, Far West, Liberty and Independence

Today Jeff and I traveled to Kansas City, Missouri by way of a few more church history sites. First stop was Adam-Ondi-Ahman. It was in this beautiful valley that Joseph Smith received revelation that this was the site that Adam and Eve came to after being expelled from the Garden of Eden. It was here that Joseph anticipated a temple to be built but persecutions and unrelenting mobs forced the members to leave Missouri before any of that was realized. The valley was breathtaking. There were a few overlooks that provided a panoramic viewpoint of the valley. I can see why the early members wanted to remain there.


I love this picture. I have a very handsome husband!
After driving around the property at Adam-Ondi-Ahman, we headed to Far West. This was another area that the early saints tried to settle and wherein another temple was planned, but they were again forced to leave. We were able to visit the site that the temple was to be built and saw the 4 cornerstones that were laid there.


Next stop was Liberty Jail. The jail itself is actually housed in a visitor's center due to the level of disrepair the building was in at the time it was acquired. The original structure was salvaged and partially restored in areas. It was here that Joseph Smith had been imprisoned on false charges for 4 long, cold, winter months. The conditions of the jail were horrendous and Joseph (and the others who were incarcerated with him) suffered both physically and spiritually. While he was detained, the members were forced to flee to Illinois, including Joseph's wife and children who had to travel without him. Yet, it was here, in this horrific, dark, cold place that Joseph received some of the most poignant revelations about peace and comfort. I was grateful that there weren't many others with Jeff and I on the tour so that we could really get a sense of the emotions that were felt there. It was another somber place, but one laced with hope. I am grateful for Joseph's fortitude and determination. He never once wavered in his knowledge of the truth. He never once retracted his claim to have seen a vision. He was an incredible man who suffered much to have the glory he has now received after death.


After visiting the jail, Jeff and I moved on to Independence. This was another location that the members started to settle and wherein another temple site was dedicated but abandoned when they were forced to flee the state. It was quite interesting to be in that place where the other "restoration" churches were. After Joseph's death, there were some early members who broke off from the rest to form their own churches (Community of Christ and Church of Christ). These churches believe in Joseph Smith, but have varying views from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. In any case, the Community of Christ church has a huge "temple" at that site while the Church of Christ actually owns the temple lot where cornerstones were discovered. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints also has a visitor's center there.


Jeff is speaking to a leader in the Church of Christ visitor's center. You can see the stones they discovered in the glass case. There were cement markers on the property to mark where the stones were found. 

The temple for the Community of Christ Church (formerly known as the Reorganized Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints)
Finally, Jeff and I made our way to Kansas City where we would be staying the night. I couldn't pass up crossing the river over to the Kansas side of Kansas city just so I could say I have been to Kansas. We literally just went across the river, found a park to play in, grabbed a blizzard from Dairy Queen then headed back to the Missouri side.


Jeff actually wanted me to take this pic of him! Silly boy!
Our last stop of the day was to attend a session at the Kansas City temple. Both Jeff and I were quite impressed with Kansas City, Missouri. It was a beautiful city, but the temple was the highlight. We hit three temples in 5 days on this trip! I was sad that the trip was coming to an end, but I couldn't imagine a better way to end the trip. I thoroughly enjoyed spending the week with my amazing, patient, thoughtful, loving, kind, gentle husband. I am grateful that we are blessed enough to have the financial resources to make these trips happen. I know Jeff would be content to never leave West Mountain, I'm the one who likes to travel, but I'm grateful that he wants to come with me and encourages me to plan these trips. I am one lucky woman!


The following day we drove back to St. Louis from Kansas City then flew home. The week went by too quickly! A HUGE thanks to Jeff's parents for helping us out with the kids while we were away. 





1 comment:

  1. Your trip looks like it was a blast! I love the family history you wrote about too. I will have to go to Nauvoo one day.

    ReplyDelete