Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Pioneer Day

Today is the 24th of July. Now in most places this is just another day...but here it's another reason to celebrate! Maybe Utah isn't so bad after all! Today is the day that we celebrate and honor the sacrifices of the early pioneers who moved across the U.S. to settle in the Great Salt Lake Valley and build up the western U.S. Many of my ancestors were among those who lost loved ones and livelihoods to come across the great plains and into Utah (then on to Arizona). I can't imagine what that must have been like. I can't imagine the physical trials and sufferings they endured to seek refuge from religious persecution and a place where they could practice their faith in peace. I am grateful to be a descendent of those valiant, courageous, faithful pioneers. Well since this was my first Pioneer Day we decided to do it right, which (much to Jeff's dismay) meant we did the parade, carnival and rodeo! This year Dallin had the opportunity to participate in the parade. The parade organizers gathered 2,060 young men from local stakes to march as the 2,000 Stripling Warriors. Because my nephew, Tyler, was still in town, he was also lucky enough to participate. I can't begin to describe the emotions I felt as I watched my son and my nephew march down the street chanting "We do not doubt". Tears filled my eyes and my heart swelled with pride as I realized I was watching the future leaders of this church and the nation. I am grateful that I have the privilege to raise such amazing children and to watch them make good choices. I feel so much faith and optimism in the future as I saw all these young men marching along. I am proud to be a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I am grateful for the moral boundaries and teachings that help us to be more like Christ. I am grateful for the guidance and direction I receive as I move forward with faith.
Tyler and Dallin 
Daniel (looking mad for some reason), Krystle, Amber, Kate and Kaia


The little kids stood out on the street to get all the candy (and fliers) that were given out. 
Kate, Kaia and Daniel 




What's a small town parade without John Deere?
This is the musical that Amber is going to participate in. 

Our 2,000 Stripling Warriors! 
 

There are my stripling warriors!! So proud!!
After the parade, we browsed the craft booths (where my loving sister bought Danny a very loud bird whistle...thanks Nichole!) and the kids enjoyed some of the nauseating (for me anyway) rides.
Kaia and Kate 
Tanner (Dallin's friend), Tyler, Dallin and Daniel 

Amber and Daniel 
Dallin and Tanner
We finished up at the carnival and (much to Jeff's relief) went home for a few hours before we headed to the rodeo. I have always loved rodeos. My mom grew up on a ranch in Mexico so I probably got my cowboy blood from that side of the family. My grandma took me to rodeos when I was younger and I always loved them. Tonight was no different. There is just something about the patriotism and just good old country feelings I have when I am watching the rodeo. It was even more fun being able to share that with my family! I have truly enjoyed having my family in town for the past few weeks. I miss them dearly and wish we all lived closer, but I am so grateful for the times we are able to visit with them. This was the perfect way to end a perfect month of family fun!
I think Laurin's and Danny's faces are the best. Laurin was voluntary...Danny's wasn't. 
Me and my best friend.
This pic is for my dad! Go Navy!!! 
The singing of the National Anthem. 




I love my family!



No comments:

Post a Comment