Saturday, July 4, 2015

4th of July: Thompson Family Reunion

This 4th of July weekend was doubly fun! Not only were we able to celebrate the freedom of this amazing nation, but we were able to do it with TONS of family! I love the 4th of July. I love this country. As much as I am disappointed with recent legislation, I am grateful for the freedoms I take for granted. I am grateful for the men and women who have fought for those freedoms over the centuries. I don't know if I would have their courage and strength. I think about our Founding Fathers and the risks they took to speak out about the injustices they felt. They were committing treason; yet they knew what they were doing was right...and that God was on their side. I just pray that I will have the courage to stand up for what I believe in even when it may not be the popular opinion or may incite a "war". In addition to celebrating this holiday, we were able to celebrate family. Jeff's sister, Katie, and aunt, Teresa, planned and executed a Thompson family reunion (Jeff's mom's parents and their posterity). We hosted the reunion between ours and Katie's houses. It is nice to have so much space and to be able to do so many different activities. Since we've been married, I haven't had much opportunity to get to know Jeff's extended family. I've met several of them but never all together nor have I had much time associating with any one in particular. I really enjoyed being able to get to know his cousins better. I loved watching relationships be nurtured and strengthened. There is nothing more important than family. No family is perfect. Many times family requires sacrifice and forgiveness, but the love and support one can receive in return far outweighs any sacrifices made. The weekend was a success. Most everyone arrived on Friday (3rd) evening; however, there were a few stragglers that didn't come until Saturday (4th). Our weekend was full of water slides, street hockey, paint balling, ATVing, volleyball, tug of war, wrestling...and TONS OF FOOD! We did start the 4th off right with a flag ceremony and ended it with a neighborhood fireworks display. All in all it was a successful reunion!...and I sincerely enjoyed getting to know Jeff's family better.




The girls and Jeff's cousin, Jordyn, sang the National Anthem at our flag ceremony.
We did all the food prep in our shop. Thank goodness for the extra space!
Eating....
Eating... (clockwise from bottom left: Bennett, Daniel, Travis, Megan, Heidi, Madison, Sara) 

And more eating!

Street hockey in Katie's "barn"
Carson, Bennett, and Danny
Kristi with Maci in back
Water slide fun!
There's always a good wrestling match once Brad comes to town! (Stan, Brad, Mitchell, Jeff and Evan)



Dallin dressed all in black ready to go paint balling.
Danny and all his gear!
We were able to snap some family pics during the weekend.

I am the luckiest woman in the world to have this handsome man by my side.



No comments:

Post a Comment