Sunday, August 4, 2013

New calling

For the past several months I have been volunteering (or serving) as a teacher for the 9 year old kids in my church congregation (ward). I have to admit that when I originally received this assignment I was not very pleased. I realize that these opportunities to serve are prayerfully considered before the assignment is extended, but I felt the prompting to extend me the assignment to teach the young kids was more indigestion and not inspiration. It was one of the few assignments that I did not wish to receive. I had just moved into this congregation and wanted the opportunity to associate with the women of the area instead of the children. I had just left my social connections in Arizona and felt a little alone. Still, I accepted the assignment and truly came to love the six children I was privileged to teach. So why am I speaking in past tense? Well today I was given a new assignment. I have been asked to serve as the 2nd counselor in the congregation's Relief Society or in other words, I have been asked to be a part of the presidency of the women's organization within our church congregation. I guess I should be careful what I wish for! Now I will have the opportunity to not only associate with but serve the women in our congregation. I was a little sad to say good-bye to my kiddos and more than a little overwhelmed at the responsibilities of the new assignment. Yet I am truly excited for this opportunity to do more for the women in our congregation. The Relief Society organization was organized in 1842 to offer relief to those who are in need, to help strengthen families, and to inspire faith in women. It is the largest, longest running women's organization in the world, and I feel lucky to be a part of it all! I love being able to serve others. I feel that there is no better activity to do with your time than to help out those around you (including those in your own house). I hope that I am equal to the task set before me. I love the women that I will be serving with in the presidency (Marcia Devenport - president, Tamara Stanton - 1st counselor, and Michelle Grant - secretary). I know the Lord will fill in where I fall short and that I will be inspired with things to do or say as needed. I feel humbled to be entrusted with this great responsibility and look forward to this new adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment